Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Entity Groups

drafting3

Looked for any other threads that mention this, but I came up empty handed.

I'm using X9, and trying to select a group of entities. I created the group and added the lines. I can even click the "view" button from the groups dialog box and it works fine.

I cannot figure out how to select the entities of the group for X-form... what am I doing wrong? Select button from groups dialog box isn't actually selecting anything...

Here is what Help ('?' on the Groups dialog) says about "Select".

Select 

Temporarily minimizes the Group dialog box and positions the cursor in the graphics window where you can select one or 

more entities that are assigned to one or more groups. 

In the Groups dialog box, the groups assigned to the selected entities appear highlighted.

If you want to "select" the entities in a Named Group, you use "QM Named Group" (QM = Quick Mask)

Now the geometry entities (of the name Group you picked) are in the selection set and when you go into XForm you're ready to go.

You can have one element belong to two groups , but you cannot place something on two levels. That can be handy...

For example you can create two groups for a mold , the cavity half and the core half and then you can add the part to both groups.

Gracjan

Thanks for the little tip... I'm going to play with it some to see if I can become more proficient.

Colin ,Mr  5349 and this is how You contribute to the matter at hand ? :)  At least someone is keeping tabs on me.

Gracjan

There was a spam post after yours that Colin was referring to. The spam post has since been removed so now it looks a little awkward. But don't worry, I've got my eye on you too! ;)

Anywho,  back to the core matter.

1.Groups are quite dandy as there are no limitations to the number of groups an element can belong to.  

2.  Result is a group.  But it has it's own QM... , so why do I mention ?  Just had to :)

3 Any time you merge a file into your main file, all the elements of the merged file become a group , WHICH YOU CAN pick with one click from the group window .  (QC , anything copied/pasted from another Mcam file should   also become a group....by pure analogy to merge )

4. There was a quick mask for Named Groups in X9 , alas  it  has disappeared from 2017.  (QC, care to comment ? ) . I would have dumped curves on surfaces if somebody had to leave the island...

Gracjan

• Like 1