Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Tired of X9 already

TERRYH

Not sure what is going on with this but I have a part completely done I completed yesterday, and was going to come in this morning and verify it before I released it to the floor. I had created a solid that represents my part thru my roughing process so that I could start verify at my semi-finish tools and finish. So this morning I get started and have all my programs selected the solid turned on and open verify after it reads every thing in and ready to start I hit the start button and nothing happens, so I let it go for a while and still nothing so I started to rotate the part around in verify and seen my tool cutting way off the part like I had my origins wrong. so I stopped it and exited it and checked it in the toolpaths manager and everything is set where it should be to my dynamic plane yet the tool path now appears to be cutting at mastercams top origin and not mine I created and have set. This is starting to get real annoying on all the work around's and bugs you have to watch out for. never had any of these issues in X6. Does anyone have any idea why this would happen and how to keep it from happening in the future? Kind of irritating when it was correct yesterday and now something has changed. And how do we correct it without deleting the program and starting it over, kind of a waste of time. 

• Like 7

I have had pretty good luck with using STOCK MODELS that are created using TOP plane only. No matter what other planes i'm using for toolpaths.

Sometimes I have several of them as I move around the part... (3+2)

I get better "REST" toolpaths that way. AND it's much easier to VERIFY from a specific stock model at a certain point in the cutting process...

I think it was JParis that shed some light on this for me a while back... THANKS for that  :)

BTW, I did find a bug in X9 where the origin of the stl was getting written into the file. when it should be TOP ...

You might be seeing that

If 1 of the WCS origins was written in when you saved the stl, that could be the problem...

As I recall, I went back and set that OP that was causing the issue to TOP in the stock setting and that aligned the stl properly

Fixed in 2017

The origin in the picture of the part is a dynamic one I created which is actually the center of my part named top work, but we was shown when creating solids from tool paths for it to be on the part correctly it had to be in MC top. Like I've said in other posts most of everything we do is self taught from learning the basics from other several years ago and who no longer work with us. It seems our company never wants to get us any proper training, and it kind of makes us look stupid on here when we have issues and try to ask for help because we are either doing things so different than other are, or we simply just don't know the proper ways.  

RIght or wrong, I hardly ever use "Stock Setup".  Like you I often have solids representing after different ops (usually just after heat treat, or a dovetail prep, and I even have a raw solid block for the 1st op too).  And when I go to verify it, I just pick the solid directly from the verify settings.  Also, when stock models became a thing, i started using those extensively, one after each op.  Though complex stock models with lots of toolpaths and ops can get choked up.

RIght or wrong, I hardly ever use "Stock Setup". Like you I often have solids representing after different ops (usually just after heat treat, or a dovetail prep, and I even have a raw solid block for the 1st op too). And when I go to verify it, I just pick the solid directly from the verify settings. Also, when stock models became a thing, i started using those extensively, one after each op. Though complex stock models with lots of toolpaths and ops can get choked up.

Ditto that. Beyond playing with it when I started with X8 I never intentionally use the red dashed line stock. It doesn't have stock recognition and you have to create stock models for the paths that need it any way so why bother?

• Like 1

We never use stock setup as I really don't know how, we create .stl files for or castings and various stages along the way for rest roughing programs, and actual verification when we move a part between or 3-axis and 5 or 6 axis machines if we dont cut the entire part in them. 

We never use stock setup as I really don't know how, we create .stl files for or castings and various stages along the way for rest roughing programs, and actual verification when we move a part between or 3-axis and 5 or 6 axis machines if we dont cut the entire part in them. 

Stock model will become a good friend if you use it....

About the only time I use stl's now is when I am doing a multi-part tombstone and want to verify the entire tombstone.

Other than that, stock model

It might be useful JP if we knew how to use it, like I said we have no formal training, and the CNC supervisor does not like us to experiment with anything other than what we know works. He has so many guys now that are from a machine shop production environment where they are not allowed to do any setups, program editing, and know very little tooling. A lead man will set up and prove the parts out to get quality approval, after that they are allowed to load the part on the fixture hit cycle start pull and replace parts and repeat as needed. Our machine shop right now is very very slow so we got some of their guys rather than laying them off because we were short handed on experienced guys. I would give anything to be able to convince our owner to get us some real training on this I know beyond the shadow of a doubt there is so much this can do, and do it better and more efficient than we are currently doing. I will be here 21 years in November and it has been the same the entire time. I know how to use MC to do what we need it to do, and I train the next guy to come in to use it like I do so it is a cycle that desperately needs broken to improve.   

It might be useful JP if we knew how to use it, like I said we have no formal training, and the CNC supervisor does not like us to experiment with anything other than what we know works. He has so many guys now that are from a machine shop production environment where they are not allowed to do any setups, program editing, and know very little tooling. A lead man will set up and prove the parts out to get quality approval, after that they are allowed to load the part on the fixture hit cycle start pull and replace parts and repeat as needed. Our machine shop right now is very very slow so we got some of their guys rather than laying them off because we were short handed on experienced guys. I would give anything to be able to convince our owner to get us some real training on this I know beyond the shadow of a doubt there is so much this can do, and do it better and more efficient than we are currently doing. I will be here 21 years in November and it has been the same the entire time. I know how to use MC to do what we need it to do, and I train the next guy to come in to use it like I do so it is a cycle that desperately needs broken to improve.   

Well, it might be time to invest in yourself if the company will not.....

Pony up and take a class on your own dime.....

Perhaps then, you'll decide it was worth something and you'll consider moving onto a better situation as well

youtube is blocked here at work, but will look it up at home would be better to have MC open at the time though.

Man.... big corporate company?  We've got some sites blocked here, but YouTube is a friggin tool to be used!  Is the structure of the company to where you could sit down and have a straitforward talk with whoever is in charge of that stuff?  I think a little reason could go a long way.  Maybe ask them to cough up $295 for 6 months of streaming teacher too.  But first sit down and tabulate all the wasted time and material "learning as you go".