Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

OSG Drilling Cast iron at .022" IPT

we've been using Mitsubishi tools, solid carbide, indexable, and gun, for our high performance drilling.

indeed it makes the sphincter quiver when you first start doing it. :crazy:

one of the first things i did on our first machine with 1000 psi thru tool cooling was 1/2" water lines in high hard (RC 38/40) P20. .720 dia solid carbide drill. 300 sfm. .005 chip load. 7" deep.  no spot drill. no pecks. cut the feed in half while crossing each of two intersecting holes. 35 seconds a hole. there were 11 holes which would have taken a full 10 hour shift to do with hss drills. the $350 drill paid for itself on the first job it did.

• Like 1

Mikron "Crazy Drills" are just that. And the biggest drill they make is 6mm. They some great vids on the YouTube.

one of the first things i did on our first machine with 1000 psi thru tool cooling was 1/2" water lines in high hard (RC 38/40) P20. .720 dia solid carbide drill. 300 sfm. .005 chip load. 7" deep.  no spot drill. no pecks. cut the feed in half while crossing each of two intersecting holes. 35 seconds a hole. there were 11 holes which would have taken a full 10 hour shift to do with hss drills. the $350 drill paid for itself on the first job it did.

We are getting ready to try Walter-Titex that size. But we only have 300psi. If it even works. Machines are almost 10 years old and the coolant through spindle has never been used.

They are impressive drills! I am curious what machine they were running this on. Also as to why they ran the competitors drills first at the slower speeds and feeds then stopped the spindle and HP coolant. It looks as if the HP coolant and mostly the spindle never quite get to full RPM before starting the failed drill cycle. I would like to see the competitor drills with a fair chance. Not that I think the others will make it, but at least give them a chance is all. I have seen many tooling tests where they bash the competitors tools when they will perform equally or better in some cases. It's all how you set the demo up to make the others fail.

Here is the video I like:

https://youtu.be/e0yM5fHjxqc

I have ran these in 14mm. They literally scare people. People will break them because they stop them in feed because they can't tell a difference between rapid and feed. They are wicked fast but you also better plan some deburring of some kind in machine because they leave a wicked bur that looks like a large mouth bass. Also, they do not like thru holes.

• Like 1

We did a demo yesterday with some Walter-Titex DC170 drills. It was our first experience with coolant-thru drills. We have 3 machine with coolant thru spindle, only 300psi. It was the first time in the 10 years we've had the machines that it was used. Don't ask. :ermm: 

The drills were amazing. Did 64 holes, 3/16 diameter with varying depths between 2-3/4 and 3-1/2. The pilot drilling took just under 3 minutes. To go to full depth took 20 minutes, and we stopped it several times to look at the chips it was making.

With our old HSS drills and peck-peck-pecking away, my software says 3.5 hours. But in reality, even the operator agreed it would be closer to a full 8 hour shift. He tends to turn down my "overly aggressive" feed rates and "excessive" distance between pecks. :blink:

Thought the owner would be very happy, instead, he wanted kill somebody. Well, several somebodies that told him these machines were special little flowers that should only be used of the finishing of mold cavities.