Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

dumb lathe spindle liner question

got a 1.5" stainless bar stock job for a lathe with a 2"+ drawbar bore.

the stock is 3 foot long.

part quantity is 26.

A2-6   8" chuck with hard jaws (unless longer softjaws are better)

no bar feeder, just manual pull.

*** Would you limit the turning RPM instead of buying a spindle liner? if so, what is a good max?

2 things.

1) get a liner for that stock. You shake the machine and not be able to run at the correct speed.

2) Get a bar puller, and write the commands to control it as a manual entry. Pull it up any time you need it for a bar pull.

This is one that mounts in the turrent. USSHOPTOOLS.com

• Like 2

Place I used to work

We had nylon liners from 3/8" up to 1-3/8 for a 1.5 ID tube

We would turn the OD part off, then hold and drill the ID

Sets were cheap and did the job

2 things.

1) get a liner for that stock. You shake the machine and not be able to run at the correct speed.

2) Get a bar puller, and write the commands to control it as a manual entry. Pull it up any time you need it for a bar pull.

This is one that mounts in the turrent. USSHOPTOOLS.com

http://usshoptools.com/prod_page_level_3_pdf.asp?mm_level_3_code=%20101100_31

interesting pullers. not sure exactly how they attach. Would be nice for me if they attached to my existing 1" square cutoff tool.

probably no payoff this time around with only 26 parts

Liners from Trusty Cook are great if you will be doing it frequently. For a one time deal or typically low volumes I used the aluminum donuts with a setscrew or 3.

I RFQ'd them a couple hours ago.

I also see there are some liners for $200+ on ebay.

For 200 bucks, i don't mind NOT making a donut, and just paying.

with all the professionalism and marketing with Trusty-cook, I'm scared of getting the quote$$$$

Place I used to work

We had nylon liners from 3/8" up to 1-3/8 for a 1.5 ID tube

We would turn the OD part off, then hold and drill the ID

Sets were cheap and did the job

John - be careful of using Nylon.

It can absorb water and grow considerably.

Acetal is the stuff to use for spindle liners.

They are not to expensive from what I remember. The biggest reason NOT to do a liner is if it will be rarely used and when it is used it is only for 1 or 2 bars, then you have these 3' liners taking up space on a rack to get used once a year. If you are going to use them more often, see if you can get a deal on 10 of the common sizes you might run and then make yourself a nice storage rack and be done with it 
:D

• Like 1

Considering that you've only got 26 pieces total, why not just cut individual blanks on the bandsaw, and not worry about a spindle liner, or having to pull stock? I understand that once you get setup with a bar pull/push method, it is much quicker, and you could program the machine to make each piece automatically. I'm all in favor of having the right tools available to make your operations more efficient, but sometimes I've found that the juice just isn't worth the squeeze...

Considering that you've only got 26 pieces total, why not just cut individual blanks on the bandsaw, and not worry about a spindle liner, or having to pull stock? I understand that once you get setup with a bar pull/push method, it is much quicker, and you could program the machine to make each piece automatically. I'm all in favor of having the right tools available to make your operations more efficient, but sometimes I've found that the juice just isn't worth the squeeze...

Did that on the first batch, because that is the material the customer supplied^^

Part is a turnbuckle/clevis deal.

No likey milling 1.5" stainless while holding on .25 diameter. :laughing:

Boring those softjaws was no fun. doable, but no fun. ...and constantly worrying about spinning the part in the jaws, also no fun.

• Like 1

Tim,

I hold .001 tolerance on a bar pull in a HAAS!. And its in the middle of the pgm with a tail stock support added also.

And the one Redk shows is the one I use. I also made some smooth jaws for it.

I've had good luck with aluminum and plastic but have had issues with heavier pieces of stock. How fast are you pulling your stock?

This is the exact one we have. It was money well spent IMHO. I pull 2" dia steel bars 20" long without a problem.

http://barpullerusa.com/epages/d00a8297-c144-4a1c-b317-955bf15da2df.mobile/en_US/?ObjectPath=/Shops/d00a8297-c144-4a1c-b317-955bf15da2df/Products/GA-MVDI304F

The parting tool combo (with springs) are a faster option as you do not need a tool change.

This is the exact one we have. It was money well spent IMHO. I pull 2" dia steel bars 20" long without a problem.

http://barpullerusa.com/epages/d00a8297-c144-4a1c-b317-955bf15da2df.mobile/en_US/?ObjectPath=/Shops/d00a8297-c144-4a1c-b317-955bf15da2df/Products/GA-MVDI304F

The parting tool combo (with springs) are a faster option as you do not need a tool change.

That's some considerable weight to be pulling, eh?

Spring deal from USST probably wouldn't handle it consistently?