Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

machine sim orientating axis's?

Cbgstyles

thanks guys ,

ron what postions are you picking for the translation in XYZ postions?

I start with the base position as Automatic and then yes guess from there. Machinesim is for a warm fuzzy. You want perfect and exact simulation back to the NC code you get Verification Software. You have a good idea where you setup is going to be. I would lose the pallet unless you want that pallet as part of your machine then you replace the pallet in the machine sim what that pallet and you are good to go. Machine sim is a great tool and when it is tied to a post a very good tool, but still not 100% NC code simulation.

how do you know what to adjust ? guessing?

CB, You can guess or can use accuracy, Look at the Machine sim origin location, for example the Machine simulator called "1_3AXGEN_VMC" (very first mach sim on list) will use center of table in XY and top of table for Z.

Once you know where your machine simulation's origin then from there its very easy, for example; I have a 1 inch tall part sitting in a 4 inch tall vice, If I want that vice to sit perfectly in the center of the table and perfectly on the table in Z, then I would use the Position: Translate in XYZ and the values would be 0,0,5 or X0 Y0 Z5" since I have a 4 inch tall vice with a 1 inch tall part.

So ultimately, your Z value is the distance from the table to the origin of your part (for that mach sim) for other mach sims the origin may be in center of the rotary or in a different position but as long as you know where the Mach sim origin is then all you really need to do is compare that mach sim origin to your part origin and establish that XYZ distance

• Like 1

The "Origin" in Machine Sim is where the Attachment Point is for the part you are cutting. When you program your part, the Origin in Mastercam is set to a "Work Offset" location, that uses XYZ offset register values on the machine. (Distance from Machine Home position to Work Offset location.)

Since Machine Simulation doesn't know where your actual Machine Home position is, they make the default with the Machine Origin at the center of the table you are using.

To set the "Transform" numbers, measure the distance from the center of your actual table, to the Work Offset location. The "Delta" or offset distance from the center of the table, to that position should essentially be the same on your actual machine, if you just measure the center of the table, set that location as an unused Work Offset, then do some math to compare the values,  they should match the settings on the machine.

To compare the distances from your Center of Table, to the Work Offset on your part, it depends on where your actual machine home is located, and if both values are positive, negative, or one is positive, and the other negative.

If both values are positive, or both values are negative, the calculation looks something like this:

result = abs(delta_x1) - abs(delta_x2)

You just take the smaller value, and subtract it from the larger value. (X1 can be either X value, as long as it is the biggest number.) This is true if you have Negative values too, just take the absolute value (drop the minus sign), put the largest X value in the X1 spot, and subtract. That is the delta distance between the two values. Make the calculation for each linear axis.

If one value is positive, and the other negative, just add the absolute values of each number together to get the delta distance:

result = abs(delta_x1) + abs(delta_x2)

That gives you the total distance between the set of point values.

If your numbers are coming from the corner of your stock, and you've drawn the stock boundary, and used that to set your Origin for the program, your stock should just come right in. Otherwise your Origin should be where the Datums on the part are, and your stock boundaries are offset in Mastercam, so that the Work Offset is located on your part, or may on some reference geometry on the fixture. (I've seen all kinds of different methods for locating parts, and setting work offset origins.)

But that should be the basics of what you're asking. "Those numbers" should just be the absolute delta distance between the center of the machine table, and your work offset location.

I can make the machine sim orient correctly if my wcs are made from the same plane as the top ,

but if I create a new plane and wcs by rotating it   , I cannot get my fixtures and oriented onto the machine in the sim?

The automatic position will fail in machine sim, if your WCS is somehow rotated in 3D space. And it's almost not possible to do a manual position in this situation.

This is a known bug (R-07803).

• Like 1