Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

point creation?

jeremy7440

So, Mastercam used to have a function Create/Point/Perpendicular, that would create a point, at a specified distance, perpendicular to a line. (Don't ask me what version of MC because I don't remember!) Then, somewhere around X7 it became Dynamic Point creation. (I had to ask around here, at that time, to find it as well)  Essentially the same function, you choose your line, where you would like to project from along that line (say mid pt, or end pt), enter the distance you want to project your point and choose which side of the line and voila, you have your point.  2017 seems to have eliminated this function...at least as far as I could tell.  My re-seller couldn't find anything like it either.  There is still Dynamic Point creation but it only gives you the option to project a point along a line, not perpendicular to it.  I'm mostly a wire guy and I use this function all the time to create thread points.  Does anyone know if this function still exists in 2017?  I can find ways to work around it...it's just very frustrating that something so simple seems to be gone.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Hmm... no matter where a single point and line are you can create a perpindicular line to it. There is a create/perp line tho. Used it yesterday. You uave to click the little arrow for the drop down of more line options. That will get you the line. Then throw a point on it and delete if needed.

Hmm... no matter where a single point and line are you can create a perpindicular line to it. There is a create/perp line tho. Used it yesterday. You uave to click the little arrow for the drop down of more line options. That will get you the line. Then throw a point on it and delete if needed.

I understand what you are saying and that is what I have been doing.  It's more steps than the function I described above. I just wondered if it had been moved, again, or if it had been eliminated.  

Create line Dynamic was supposed to replace this, but I uncovered a bug with it in 2017. It doesn't function like the past versions of this function did. There is a fix in the works, but I have to agree on this one function there was a step backwards.

What I have done is old school it and create a surface on my solid and then offset the surface the distance I want for my offset and then use project point to surface using normal from where that point was and that will give you the same results. Yes more work, but best way I have found to get the exact placement of the point like we did in previous versions.

Create line Dynamic was supposed to replace this, but I uncovered a bug with it in 2017. It doesn't function like the past versions of this function did. There is a fix in the works, but I have to agree on this one function there was a step backwards.

What I have done is old school it and create a surface on my solid and then offset the surface the distance I want for my offset and then use project point to surface using normal from where that point was and that will give you the same results. Yes more work, but best way I have found to get the exact placement of the point like we did in previous versions.

I'm using this in a strictly 2D scenario.  I have a 2D contour that I need to cut in a wire edm.  I was using the dynamic point creation to create my thread/start hole point.  It's frustrating to have to go back to creating geometry to place these points, especially when the software used to do what I wanted.

I'm using this in a strictly 2D scenario.  I have a 2D contour that I need to cut in a wire edm.  I was using the dynamic point creation to create my thread/start hole point.  It's frustrating to have to go back to creating geometry to place these points, especially when the software used to do what I wanted.

In that case couldn't you use Dynamic Transform?

I do some wire stuff in 2017 occasionally, so I think I understand what you're trying to do with your thread points. What you can do is go to create your thread point geometry and hold down shift, then click on a line endpoint (or any point you would like to reference). This brings up the dynamic gnomon and you can then drag (or type in an exact distance) where you want to move your thread point, from that first point you're referencing. Hope this makes sense.   

So, Mastercam used to have a function Create/Point/Perpendicular, that would create a point, at a specified distance, perpendicular to a line. (Don't ask me what version of MC because I don't remember!) Then, somewhere around X7 it became Dynamic Point creation. (I had to ask around here, at that time, to find it as well)  Essentially the same function, you choose your line, where you would like to project from along that line (say mid pt, or end pt), enter the distance you want to project your point and choose which side of the line and voila, you have your point.  2017 seems to have eliminated this function...at least as far as I could tell.  My re-seller couldn't find anything like it either.  There is still Dynamic Point creation but it only gives you the option to project a point along a line, not perpendicular to it.  I'm mostly a wire guy and I use this function all the time to create thread points.  Does anyone know if this function still exists in 2017?  I can find ways to work around it...it's just very frustrating that something so simple seems to be gone.

Thanks in advance for any help!

post-5941-0-78351500-1484505398_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Jeremy,

I made a NetHook that should do basically what you're looking for. Here is a video showing it and NetHook archive is attached to the post. Hope this helps.

Edit: I released a little too quickly as it worked in Top Mastercam Cplane only... I updated file and it should now work with any Cplane.

PerpendicularPointNethook.zip

To install:

- close Mastercam

- unzip files from archive in your Mastercam2017 Chooks folder (typically c:\program files\mcam2017\chooks).

- run Mastercam

Now you still need to add command icon on your quick access toolbar (and/or ribbon/context menu) because you can't run it directly from .dll file (as i didn't use standard Mastercam run function)

To install on QAT:

- right-click anywhere on ribbon and choose 'Customize quick access toolbar'

- click on commands list box (with commands not in the ribbon option selected)

- find among commands the one called 'perpendicular', then click 'add' button to add command to QAT.

Here is a screen capture showing it (sorry this is on a french mastercam release)

If you hold shift while placing a point on a line, it brings up the gnomon, then you can grab the arc of the gnomon to align the axis of the gnomon with the line you just picked and then drag (or enter the distance of) the point to your desired offset from the line. just a couple clicks. 

You guys are great!  David, I was able to get your nethook to work.  Very nice!  Thanks!  I was also able to make it work via frank_c/specv's idea.  I have one question about the dynamic gnomon...is it possible to have a particular axis (x or y) snap to the line I would like to offset from?

Thanks!

You guys are great!  David, I was able to get your nethook to work.  Very nice!  Thanks!  I was also able to make it work via frank_c/specv's idea.  I have one question about the dynamic gnomon...is it possible to have a particular axis (x or y) snap to the line I would like to offset from?

Thanks!

Yes, just click on the "Arrow Head" of the axis you want to align. This is the "Normal" option, and will align the Axis you picked with the line. Try clicking the X Axis Arrow Head, then the line. Mastercam should align the Gnomon's X axis with your line.

Thanks!

Yes you just pick on the axis and that will be the single direction it will move.