Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

'helical gear' - 5 axis or 4!

Sumac Andy

Andy - this may help or not.

Different form - we had to design this gear as a special for a customer so it's effectively 60deg form and 2mm radially deep.

We're using a carbide centre drill (tip removed) after centreline clearing the 'meat' out using a 1.5mm cutter.

Prog 1x tooth and xform the rest.

For yours - can you do a form tool for the V with a flat bottom?

Rough down in the Z and use a 5ax curve path on the centreline?

OKAY - I'm getting an error message for uploading as it's too big?

Your file is larger than this but the message says I can only upload 48k???

PM me your email address and i'll send it over.

We're 30 miles away along the coast from eachother so it shouldn't be a problem!

Curse the big pond in the middle causing the problem!

:laughing:

• Like 1

Do another controlled tilt path in center perpendicular to a surface using the 2 bottom chains.

Hi.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I've tried something like this but didn't like the result - it looks close so I may come back to this, but for now I'll keep on trying other routes.

Cheers.

Andy.

Hi.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I've tried something like this but didn't like the result - it looks close so I may come back to this, but for now I'll keep on trying other routes.

Cheers.

Andy.

Ya what you need to do is to use a bull instead of a sharp to swarf the walls.

That way a bull down the center will blend better in the corners without having to be perfect.

Well, if you have a large number of them and you want to get all fancy... design and purchase custom ground form tools... put them in a 90 degree head set at the helix angle... part mounts on a 4th axis... program a straight line move with the proper 4X rotation... bamm... you can bang those parts out in about 15 minutes apiece. :smoke: 

Is that the customer's model?   Most gears have an involute profile to the teeth, which would be a nurbs surface on a model.

Part of it is - the tooth form - I've removed all other proprietary information from the model for this forum. 

We know what it should be and we will discuss this with our customer later.

They are using this gear as a very expensive 'consumable' part at the moment. This may be deliberate but we don't think so, the mating gear is involute form so we're not sure why at the mo.

Thanks.

Andy.

Well, if you have a large number of them and you want to get all fancy... design and purchase custom ground form tools... put them in a 90 degree head set at the helix angle... part mounts on a 4th axis... program a straight line move with the proper 4X rotation... bamm... you can bang those parts out in about 15 minutes apiece. :smoke:

Was thinking along those lines to start with - if it were an involute form we would need to work the correct rotational movement into the machine -  I did gear cutting as an apprentice using the correct DP tools, universal milling machine, working out the angle for the table to be set at, the gear train of the dividing head (driver/driven) etc.... that was around 29 years ago :help: - if we use the 5 axis machines we need to work out all that information given a 2.5MOD tool on an extended holder with A axis at an angle - maybe 45°? then working out the small angular movement in C axis to form the tooth? IDK how to work all that out - yet!

Thanks.

Andy.

• 4 years later...