Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Creating Lead In/Lead Out for Flowline

psco21

53 minutes ago, duckdogers said:

I didn't know about the direction button either till Ron told me about a month ago,it works great Thanks again Ron

I have used them since V7 days. ^_^

Though many things changed these dialogs are pretty much the same since the V7 days. Sorry that is far back as I go in Mastercam. :ph34r:

• Like 1

The direction setting extends only the first Pass's entry which is good for when you only want to extend the first pass. Alternatively you can do what BillB mentioned above and on your Gap Settings use the Tangent line setting in that area and that will actually extend every pass's entry instead of just the first. its nice to know about both options and they both have their applications

Thanks for your replies! Both are good solutions to my question.

More specifically, I am using the finish flowline spiral cutting method to cut a taper on the outer surface. Any idea on how to make the spiral start a bit higher than actual part? I've been able to do it by lying to it and drawing the part to be bigger than the actual part but was wondering if there was an easier way to do this.

Thanks!

4 hours ago, psco21 said:

Thanks for your replies! Both are good solutions to my question.

More specifically, I am using the finish flowline spiral cutting method to cut a taper on the outer surface. Any idea on how to make the spiral start a bit higher than actual part? I've been able to do it by lying to it and drawing the part to be bigger than the actual part but was wondering if there was an easier way to do this.

Thanks!

Not with Flowline. Instead of Flowline, use Surface Finish Contour. Then in the "Depths", you can set it to Absolute, and enter values to "force" the path to start above. Just make sure you use a Containment Boundary with Surface Finish Contour, if you don't want to scrap the part! :)

2 minutes ago, Colin Gilchrist said:

Not with Flowline. Instead of Flowline, use Surface Finish Contour. Then in the "Depths", you can set it to Absolute, and enter values to "force" the path to start above. Just make sure you use a Containment Boundary with Surface Finish Contour, if you don't want to scrap the part! :)

Or you can go into the advanced settings and say use only selected faces and you don't need a containment boundary. ;);)

17 minutes ago, 5th Axis CGI said:

Or you can go into the advanced settings and say use only selected faces and you don't need a containment boundary. ;);)

Yes, but I've been bitten by that in the past. I find it to work about 90% of the time. The other 10%? Well, let's just say that I always recommend a Containment Boundary, 100% of the time, for a reason. Maybe this has improved over the years, but I'm sure you've also got 100 other habits that have been built up with Mastercam over the years, to try and limit the amount of damage that can be done. I know I do. That's not a knock against Mastercam really, it is just that sometimes you have to learn ways to overcome whatever obstacle is in your path at the time. These workarounds just become habitual after a while. For the same reasons, many times I'll create a "floor" surface for a given operation, even though I could just go into the "Depths" box and set a Z depth limit. Why? Because after programming for a while, I realized that I may need to move the Origin for my Plane, and now all those "absolute" depths need to be reset to a new value. By using a "floor surface", I avoid that issue entirely...

• Like 2