Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

thumbdrive question

cherokeechief79

I have a collection of about 5 thumbdrives in the shop that I use on a regular basis.

some have a lot of stuff on them and some have not so much.

when I post a program to these the program just seems to go randomly anywhere on the drive and ive got to search for the program in the has controller.

is there a way to somehow force it to the top of everything else ?

i used to use them all the time, now we have wireless.

i would only put the file needed on it though and would re-format after.

on some haas if they don't press origin before removing and you replace the file on the thumbdrive when it is put back in the same machine it will remember the old program, had it bite me in the a$$ before.

• Like 1

sorry I guess I didn't explain right.

this is an older has without the directory or folders.

with the type of work im doing lately I will just post one op ,then after that's ok post the next op.

its usually a 1 pc prototype.

if I save a prog to the thumbdrive I can arrange it by date so its at the top but when I read it in the haas it can be anywhere on the drive.

sometimes ill have to go thru several pages till I find it.

I know the best answer would be to keep the thumbdrive blank or nearly empty but that never happens.

and yes I have removed the thumbdrive wo pushing origin  with the same result you had!

19 hours ago, cherokeechief79 said:

sorry I guess I didn't explain right.

this is an older has without the directory or folders.

with the type of work im doing lately I will just post one op ,then after that's ok post the next op.

its usually a 1 pc prototype.

if I save a prog to the thumbdrive I can arrange it by date so its at the top but when I read it in the haas it can be anywhere on the drive.

sometimes ill have to go thru several pages till I find it.

I know the best answer would be to keep the thumbdrive blank or nearly empty but that never happens.

and yes I have removed the thumbdrive wo pushing origin  with the same result you had!

enough said

We do 'sneaker networking' with a jump drive to our Haas too.

I try to keep a minimal number of programs on the jump drive, and I always back it up to my shared mcamx* folder on my hard drive, and also to a network folder.

Any time we make edits at the control, I will always copy the program back to the jump drive, then update the hard drive and network copies.  Yeah, it's a PITA, but jump drives can fail.  Keeping too much data on them without having it backed up is just too much of a risk IMO.  You may get away with it for a while, but you also may get burned.  The few extra minutes needed to back up your files are well worth it. :yes

Just my 2 cents:

I've had issues before when attempting to run "long" programs directly off the USB stick. I've had it work in a pinch, but I've also seen cases where the machine would randomly "jump" to a new location within a running program. We chalked it up to cheap USB Memory, as we had several of the same brand of memory stick. When we replaced them all with "SanDisk" branded sticks, our issues went away. Just something to be aware of. I've seen many "cheap" USB sticks on sale, and I always cringe when I see them used as the DNC storage location on a machine. Now, I've done it, and gotten away with it many times, so I know how useful it can be. But I would caution you to use a quality piece of hardware if you do. Especially when the difference might be less than $20 bucks. I'd always recommend paying more, for higher quality memory. Why get a cheap 128 Gb USB Stick, when you could get a high-quality 32 Gb Stick for the same (or less) price? I have never, in all my years, seen a program that exceeded 100 Mb of NC Code memory. And I've ran programs that were almost 10 Million lines of NC Code.

My USB's don't get data stored on them. I format them as quickly as I can except for one which I use for customer software updates. I've lost WAY too much valuable data over the years so now, they are for file transfer ONLY.