Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Why do we still have to combine views to make solids?

crazy^millman

I thought this was 2017 and with 2018 release around the corner we still have to combine views to make solids sometimes. I am working in a WCS that is rocket space. Why do I need to combine the arcs to that view when they were created in that view? Drives me crazy all the extra steps we have to do sometimes to use Mastercam.

1 hour ago, kunfuzed said:

What is "combine to view"? Don't think I've ever seen that...

Arcs can be drawn on a plane, but not be on that plane when drawn sometimes. They can be on a different plane. When you go to make a Solid if they are not on the plane Solids Like then you will not be able to make the solid. To fix this issue you must move them to the correct view even though you drew them on that view. To do this you use this combine views. Is that clear as mud for you? :D

• Like 1
1 hour ago, jlw™ said:

I have never seen this and I have modeled some very complicated assemblies.

I wouldn't even know how to do this.

For example.....

Top & Bottom WCS/Planes are parallel to each other BUT if arcs are created in the Bottom and you try to use them in the TOP.....the axis vectors of the arcs are pointing towards the bottom......using Combine views while in TOP will force all of the arcs that exist in a parallel plane to become normal to the Top.....mind you, this is not just TOP but any planes that are parallel but opposite.

I am of the opinion this will never really be 100% cleaned up until Mastercam dumps all but 3 views, Top. Front, Right

Some of the things you can see......Geometry that doesn't quite trim right to arcs, toolpaths that act strange on arcs are just some of the things I have seen

I see it probably a half-dozen times a year. Infrequently enough that when I do encounter it, I bang my head against  the desk long enough to make the issue annoying as :censored:

But that's just me. YMMV :coffee: 

I do nearly all my CAD outside of Mastercam these days. The onyl CAD I do in Mastercam is related to toolpath generation. Boundaries, clean surfaces for Flowline, fixture mods needed that I don't anticipate in the CAD process. JM2CFWIW

Back in V8/V9 days, co-planar arc  issues could bite you hard.. but it's been years since I've had any trouble with this

Of course most of my source models are built in Catia/SolidWorks or are customer supplied so I do very little

serious modeling in Mastercam 

• Like 2

Yes I do all my modeling in Mastercam. Yes I run into this and I run into it when I don't need to. Like anything we face never at the time we need it. Glad I remembered to use it, but the ten minutes I was scratching my head projecting, trimming and everything I could think of to add the bosses I need to the part it was not fresh in my mind. Then I remembered oh yeah the old combine view issue. Go to bottom view create an arc then draw some lines in top view it will normally work. Go to a WCS and then try the same thing this is where I normally see this. Thing was I only had one WCS when making all my arcs, but Mastercam didn't care and I had to combine views to draw those simple bosses I needed to hold down the part. I got it done, but when I modeled in Solideorks, Pro-E, CATIA, Spaceclaim, Inventor, and other CAM software that has Solid modeling abilities I have never seen this issue. Would have thought by now this would be a thing of the past why I was frustrated I even had to do it. Been a long 21 straight days so sorry if I expressed it. Have a great rest off your weekend.