Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Entry Helix Outputs Line Segments

Spotterhphc

So I've noticed Mastercam likes to output helix entry motion into line segments. On some toolpaths that have "arc filters" I can usually get around this and force it to output arcs with "Output 3D arcs". I notice this issure mostly on 3D toolpaths like OptiRough or "Rough Pocket", but on occasion even is 2D pocket or 2D dynamic. I'm currently seeing it on Multiaxis Rough but the entry in still 2D until it hits final depth.

When it outputs line segments , our machines cant keep up, slowing things down. I know the machine can run fast because we push them pretty hard. 1000 IPM smoothly but that speed only works when it has arcs and lines of good length of 4-5". Note that I am not trying to Helix Entry at 1000 IPM . It can sometimes be hundreds of line segments long just to get .300 deep. 

Does anyone know if Mastercam has a fix for this? Is it in the post somewhere or Control Def or what? 

Running Mastercam 2017 but have seen this since X7

Thanks for any help in advance. 

What's your tolerance set to? 

I set mine to 5000 maximum arc, and .00w with the slider in the middle between cut and arc tolerance.

Sometimes I go more but you must leave extra material because it will violate the stock to leave and boundary with a large tolerance on occasion

For the entry try and remove the vertical arc  from the linking parameters page

Chris Lang- My helix support was set to all planes supported so i made it only XY plane but that did not solve the issue. 

JParis- i tried the chook but got the error " operation contains no linear or arc motion" however the whole posted program is G01. The toolpath is the Multi Axis Rough using Dynamic strategy type. 

Leon82- this toolpath does not have the filter settings like most toolpaths do. It may have something that I don"t know about though. However even in the toolpaths that do have those settings it will randomly do the line segment thing. 

So much confusion. 

3 minutes ago, Spotterhphc said:

JParis- i tried the chook but got the error " operation contains no linear or arc motion" however the whole posted program is G01. The toolpath is the Multi Axis Rough using Dynamic strategy type. 

Did you have the OP selected when you went for the chook?  Needs to be the selected OP

• 1 year later...
21 hours ago, Michael Winter said:

Sorry to revive a dead thread, but did anyone ever come up with a solution to this? I've been experiencing a similar issue when helix-ing into a pocket, no matter the depth, and arc-filtering seems to have no effect. Four .813 x .500 deep pockets shouldn't be 4000 lines of code, right?

There is a check box in the Arc Filter settings called <output 3d arcs> .  do you have that box checked?

21 hours ago, Michael Winter said:

Sorry to revive a dead thread, but did anyone ever come up with a solution to this? I've been experiencing a similar issue when helix-ing into a pocket, no matter the depth, and arc-filtering seems to have no effect. Four .813 x .500 deep pockets shouldn't be 4000 lines of code, right?

Going to need more info....and a file perhaps

Version and machine as well....there are older versions of Mastercan that needed a control def tweak....

The issue in question was a 5 axis issue.....on a 5 axis machine you are only going to get arcs if you can use a G68 tilted plane so that the arcs are perpendicular to a XY, XZ, YZ plane...

Edited by Guest