Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Verify

Threept82

Hi Guys

Is it me or ???

With 2018, When I use verify (With collision on) 90% of the time it stops and says I crashed into something.

The tools are correct and sometimes the tool is 1/4" away from the part. There is nothing touching anything.

Please advise.

Thanks

P.S. I have all the same settings as I do in 2017 and it has no issues.

Why would you have him turn off collision checking all together? That is not very good advice. 

Threept82, go to your stop conditions and check that it isn't stopping on collisions. Next make sure you don't have any entities showing that the toolpath would in fact collide with. Try checking Work piece in the viability settings on the Home tab. Finally run the verify through to the end and look in your collision report by double clicking on the errors. One thing to note is it doesn't always stop it on the collision. It's best to find the collision, see what tool and operation has the issue and go back to the Mastercam window and find it on the actual toolpath using backplot. 

1 hour ago, BenK said:

Why would you have him turn off collision checking all together? That is not very good advice. 

Threept82, go to your stop conditions and check that it isn't stopping on collisions. Next make sure you don't have any entities showing that the toolpath would in fact collide with. Try checking Work piece in the viability settings on the Home tab. Finally run the verify through to the end and look in your collision report by double clicking on the errors. One thing to note is it doesn't always stop it on the collision. It's best to find the collision, see what tool and operation has the issue and go back to the Mastercam window and find it on the actual toolpath using backplot. 

maybe you should re-read what i suggested, i suggested he turns off workpiece collisions not all collisions. Try drilling a half inch hole with a half inch tool with workpiece collisions turned on, oh look a collision... thats because your .5" tool is hitting the Workpiece wall so you now have a collision. I still leave on stock collisions, fixture collisions if im using fixutres, etc. but workpiece collision i typically dont use because of the reasons mentioned above, or even with contouring, contour a part down to 0 stock to leave and there is another collision when workpiece is turned on because again, the tools hitting the workpiece.

So no, i did not suggest he turns off all collisions. 

1 hour ago, gcode said:

by default Mastercam creates a Ø2" x 1" thick holder and Verify will report collisions with this

holder whether is it visible in Verify or not.

You may be seeing holder collisions .

You can turn holder collision checking off if you choose

Excellent point Gcode, holders can certainly be it since you can have those turned off visually in verify and still have collision detection against them.

1 hour ago, JoshC said:

maybe you should re-read what i suggested, i suggested he turns off workpiece collisions not all collisions. Try drilling a half inch hole with a half inch tool with workpiece collisions turned on, oh look a collision... thats because your .5" tool is hitting the Workpiece wall so you now have a collision. I still leave on stock collisions, fixture collisions if im using fixutres, etc. but workpiece collision i typically dont use because of the reasons mentioned above, or even with contouring, contour a part down to 0 stock to leave and there is another collision when workpiece is turned on because again, the tools hitting the workpiece.

So no, i did not suggest he turns off all collisions. 

Seeing as I do those exact things without an issue every day I still think your advice is garbage. Why even verify if your not going to check for collisions against the actual part you are cutting. If you don't know how to properly setup the tools just leave the trouble shooting to the people who do.

15 hours ago, BenK said:

Seeing as I do those exact things without an issue every day I still think your advice is garbage. Why even verify if your not going to check for collisions against the actual part you are cutting. If you don't know how to properly setup the tools just leave the trouble shooting to the people who do.

i dont think you really know what you are talking about or what i am talking about, but i dont feel like arguing or spending the time to explain... have a great day ben

2 hours ago, JoshC said:

i dont think you really know what you are talking about or what i am talking about, but i dont feel like arguing or spending the time to explain... have a great day ben

I find it really sad that this is how you approach things with customers. What do you think it says to everyone when someone working for a reseller says to just turn off a function because they cant get it to work? Needless to say your advise was garbage and now you just want to discredit me by saying I don't know what I'm talking about when clearly you know nothing about me. 

If you want to fix your collision issue when trying to cut to zero stock just look in the verify options for collision tolerance. If it's set to zero of course you will get a collision every time. I keep mine set to .006 by default. If I need it closer I change it for that specific verify session or I use the compare function. I even have a video I can send to you if you would like. 

46 minutes ago, BenK said:

I find it really sad that this is how you approach things with customers. What do you think it says to everyone when someone working for a reseller says to just turn off a function because they cant get it to work? Needless to say your advise was garbage and now you just want to discredit me by saying I don't know what I'm talking about when clearly you know nothing about me. 

If you want to fix your collision issue when trying to cut to zero stock just look in the verify options for collision tolerance. If it's set to zero of course you will get a collision every time. I keep mine set to .006 by default. If I need it closer I change it for that specific verify session or I use the compare function. I even have a video I can send to you if you would like. 

First off Ben, i was just trying to help and was not ever intending to get in a heated argument. I am a big fan of mastercam, the guys on these forums that ask questions and post helpful responses.  

Secondly, your not MY customer nor do i feel the need to treat you as if you were but i was not trying to be rude even though it seems it must have been interpreted that way. I dont work for this forum, i work for my employer and am only here to help when i can or when i have free time on breaks and was just responding to this forum question the same way i would respond to a friend or a colleague. His question was an easy one that i thought i could help him with as I have seen others turn on work piece and have then had to deal with collisions. I do not need to see your video, i know what you are talking about with the tolerance and how it will help. His original question could have been caused by a variety of things like others have mentioned like holders etc. but i still think there is not a problem with my suggestion. The tolerance idea is great but still can get you into problems so i find its Better to turn off work piece, like if you have a solid model that has been modeled for a flat bottom hole, but you want to put the tip of the drill into the part and bring the full dia of the drill to that flat bottom, in this scenario your tolerance idea does not help us. I know my way around the software just like you do but I ultimately find that i am better off and I prefer to not use work piece collision detection for the reasons already mentioned like that drilling example. And by turning that off, i still have never missed a collision from having that off. You will still get collisions on holders, stock, and everything else and you can even see any gouge after its done verifying and/or in the compare in verify. 

So ultimately, my advice i provided was not just thrown out at random but was provided because that is how i like my verify collision detection to be set. 

Sorry again for offending you and that is not what i was shooting for here or for if my response was interpreted as rude. Again, just trying to help and I still dont think my advice is poor advice nor has my suggestion caused me any problems in the past.