Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

clipped corner opti rough

HEAVY METAL

I was using  high speed surface (opti-rough) and it clipped the corner of my part.  It did not show this in verify . The tool path looks good . I have cimco editor pro and it does not show the toolpath   crossing that corner either. Anyone have a suggestion of what to check next . I reposted and it does repeat . Scary thing is that it looks fine  before  it goes out to machine .

2018-02-01 13.16.25.tif  

10344-hud-detail4.jpg

20 hours ago, HEAVY METAL said:

Scary thing is that it looks fine  before  it goes out to machine .

Your step over is 0.6 and  your Min. Toolpath Radius is 0.075.

Rule of thumb is Min. Toolpath Rad. should be 2x the step over. I have seen this numerous times, I think the problem is that the algorithm is creating a bunch of .075 arcs to use and combined with the .6 step over lines there are just too many possible intersects to choose from, and they are so small the algorithm is unable to decide which way around the arc to go. I have seen your condition (clipped corners) and a big arc violating the part due to this. And neither shows in verify or backplot.

It shouldn't affect your clean up as I think this arc is used in the fast feed part of the toolpath, so if you want to "keep the tool down" more you increase the arc.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, gcode said:

can you post a shot of your linking page

do you know if your machine dogleg rapids

if it does be sure to set it on the rapids page of the control definition.

If you set it properly Verify will show doglegs in verify sessions

We had that happen on a part than ran fine in multiple machines where axes arrived at the same time.

The program was used on another that was set the opposite and since the guy programed the retract incramental it cut the part while rapiding

11 minutes ago, Leon82 said:

We had that happen on a part than ran fine in multiple machines where axes arrived at the same time.

The program was used on another that was set the opposite and since the guy programed the retract incramental it cut the part while rapiding

yes .. I saw a $40k aircraft bulkhead destroyed this way years ago and never forgot it.

It was a proven file that had run many times on one machine that rapided in a straight line.

The boss decided to run it on a different machine that dog legged and a Ø2" rougher blew through a wall at 100ipm

Mastercam's high feed toolpaths give us the abilty to define rapid move as G01 F (whatever max feed rate your machine can handle)

This will prevent this problem, even if the machine does dog leg G0 motion