Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Tilt to Avoid Gouge

Reko

"Holder" "Collision Checking"... using a Haas UMC750 with an InHouse Solutions post.

Anyone use this?

I have tried twice now and both times it gouged my part... it follows the part very closely... then makes sudden moves to violate the solid.

It seems like a nice feature... I can choke up on the tool, use a standard 3D path like waterline... then click this to tip to avoid the holder... sounds easy... doesn't work though.

It looks good in verify... doesn't work in practice.

I'm just wondering if I need to do something special... or perhaps it is a post problem... or if anyone has had any success with this... or if it has never worked at all?

I have used it with great success and I would suggest you go into your back plot and make the vector 12 or 20 inches tall and see if they are creating a singularity event you cannot see in the standard backplot. Are you running the motion through the Machine sim?  That said could the toolpath be done with a 5 Axis toolpath to take full advantage of 5 Axis motion?

Great suggestions... I'm moving on a bit to get this hot job going forward... but there is a scrap part I will test at the end of the run.

Using your vector suggestion, I spotted something strange... I'll post up a few pics after lunch.

Thanks again guys!

Here's a pic of the toolpath that violates the part... both Verify and the Machine Sim show no collisions.

It is a waterline path with the holder collision set to "Tip to Avoid Gouge"... I also have it set to minimum retract with a feedrate of 500ipm... but look at the rapid lines... they only retract in strange ways staying down inside the pocket... a few of them even curve... I've never noticed a rapid line curve before.

I wonder if that could be the problem? I'll test it at the end of this run.

A2.png

I can't test it yet... but... that was set up to a feedrate with minimum retract... if I set it to full retract, it looks like this... do you think this will work?

Or... should I set the control def up for feed moves and no rapid moves at all?

A3.png

33 minutes ago, Reko said:

Here's a pic of the toolpath that violates the part... both Verify and the Machine Sim show no collisions.

Reko,

Did you see my response to this question on the Mastercam forum? I embedded a short video showing how to show collisions like this in MachSim.  Please let me know if that doesn't fix it.  Preferably over there, I have notifications turned on for that thread.

Cheers,

• Like 1

I would 5 Axis the toolpath and control everything and not let something do some work for me. Great addition and not knocking the ability of this function, but sometimes you need to go with something you can control. You throw the right tilt into the toolpaths and all your troubles will go away. You will not have to wonder if you holder will clear you will know it clear.

• Like 2
14 hours ago, C^Millman said:

I would 5 Axis the toolpath and control everything and not let something do some work for me. Great addition and not knocking the ability of this function, but sometimes you need to go with something you can control. You throw the right tilt into the toolpaths and all your troubles will go away. You will not have to wonder if you holder will clear you will know it clear.

I agree.

This is such a quick and easy option... I sure would like to master it, but you're right... this has bitten me twice now...  better to be certain than wreck a third part.

I'm going to play with it a bit at the end of this run... I'll try to post up any answers I come up with for future reference.