Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Way O/T NHL Bertuzzi, May & Crawford

Avs_Fan

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In the hockey world, we call that taking responsibility for your actions. You don't ever want to see a player get hurt like that and I hope Moore will be able get back in the linup soon. I hate to sound mean, but he had it coming to him. This is the way hockey used to be before the NHL had to consider ESPN's massive potential market.

Maybe now the NHL will smarten up and consider removing the horribly lame instigator rule mad.gif They could get rid of Gary Bettman, too, and send him back to the NBA. I wouldn't miss him.

For those who stumble into this thread and don't know what's going on, here's a starting point.

A face to face squareoff would have been a more appropriate way to settle an old score but a come from behind sucker punch is a cowardly act which should not be supported by any hockey fan. Moores hit on Naslund, a few weeks ago, was hard and disturbing but was not unlike many big mid-ice hits. Bertuzzi's hit was an unjustified, premeditated attack.

I have been a Canucks fan for 20 years and will be for many years to come. This was not a proud moment for our club.

Phil

i totally disagree with bullines....i do agree that you have to expect that you're going to be a target for more hitting or to drop the gloves....but bertuzzi's punch was from behind and totallly out of context of the game...theres payback and theres stupidity and bertuzzi was definately on the stupid end of that one....its one thing to square off but to hit from behind...chicken sh*t in my opinion.

That's true. The way Bertuzzi did it was cheap and I can't condone it. But I guarantee you that Moore will think twice about giving a late hit to an elite player in a vulnerable position. And that is how the league used to be prior to the stupid instigator rule that we're stuck with now.

Does anybody else recall the famous sucker punch by Boston's Derek Sanderson during the sixty's?

In a nutshell - he shook the players hand in gentlemanly good faith, then as the player turned away ,he drove him in the back of the head.

I did not see the game in question regarding the thread topic - sorry.

Regards, Jack

`

quote:

`It was disgusting,'' an angry Morris said. ``There's not other word for that.

quote:

``I've never seen anything like that in my seven years of playing hockey (in the NHL).''

It's amazing how quickly the Avalanche has forgotten the Lemieux-Draper incident......

quote:

"The best insight into Lemieux's dirty, dark, shriveled soul was the Kris Draper incident. He ran Draper into the boards in a premeditated fashion, then laughed about it. Seventy-six stitches later, Draper stopped bleeding. This incident puts into perspective all the pathetic wailing about supposedly dirty hits in the current playoffs."

Quit your whining Avs, you'll do it again if you get the chance !

I'm with Avs_fan's original post. Bertuzzi should be spending time in jail for this. Putting on hockey equipment shouldn't put anyone above the law. I'm sure Moore will have LOTS of time to consider his previous actions in traction with a BROKEN NECK. I don't think he'll be back in the line-up any time soon...

Perhaps the NHL should take some responsibility with the violence so vigilante justice isn't necessary. Of course this won't happen because violence is the cornerstone used for selling hockey into new venues. Ever watched an ESPN or FOX hockey commercial? It would be interesting to find the percentage of fans that attend hockey games specifically to see events like this...

midnight brings back some bad memories for us wings fans (yet he does make a very good point).

"those who live in glass houses shouldn't cast stones" as the saying goes. i'm sure draper has no sympathy for the Avs organization.

this incident is similiar to the one a few years back with mcsorley and brasheer (only more severe in my opinion) and i'm sure it will be dealt with accordingly.

sorry all....the hockey-fights server boked out from the ten million hits it got in about three hours.....

too bad it takes someone getting a broken neck to generate all the interest in hockey that us detroit fans like to see anyway.

I personally didn't see the hit that caused the retaliation penalty, but i can't imagine that the ends in this case were justified.

Hi "mid",

quote:

It's amazing how quickly the Avalanche has forgotten the Lemieux-Draper incident......

We have not forgotten that incident 8+ years ago. That was a low point for us. I remember Lemieux cowardly "turtling" the next season as McCarty pummeled him. Not that it matters much but Morris was not yet in the league when that unfortunate event took place.

quote:

I personally didn't see the hit that caused the retaliation penalty, but i can't imagine that the ends in this case were justified.

Moore hit Markus Naslund (Bertuzzi's friend, linemate and the league's second top scorer) with an elbow to the head while Naslund didn't have possesion of the puck and was already falling in a vulnurable position, resulting in a concussion.

My take...

What Bertuzzi did was justified (even though he shouldn't have been the Canuck to do it), but how he did it was wrong.

quote:

the league is talking about now the fight instigator penalties and trying to clean up the sport.

Yes! Remove the instigator penalty. Things will go back to the way they used to be when there were far fewer cheap shots and stick work.

They should get rid of touch-icing too, while they're at it.

quote:

Bertuzzi should be spending time in jail for this.

I doubt it will go that far but I actually agree with the radio for a change. On a local morning show they were suggesting the penalty for somthing like this is the offender should have to sit out as long as the other person can't play because of there injury.