Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Nvida Quadro 4000 video card over heating

Rob B

I have a Quadro 4000 vc that has overheated, and know will only display one monitor. I am using a Dell T5500 computer.

I have had trouble with the Quadro vc on 2 different Dell machines. I am wanting to possible go away from this type of video card and buy something different.

Or I need to reduce the temp that is inside my case.

Please give options and or advise on what I should do. I don't want spend a ton of money on a video card.

I will answer questions or give more info if you need it.

Thanks

Quadro's are infamous for overheating

I've never had a Dell blow one up, but we had our IT guy build a couple of machines

and both of them lost their Quadro cards to overheating.

A lot of guys run high end GeForce gaming  cards which cost a 1/4 of  the price of a Quadro

I just had a new computer built and put a GeForce GTX 980 in it and in Mastercam we can't see any difference between the Quadro's and the GeForce. Seems to run just fine and moving forward I will not put putting out money for Quadro cards any more.

Kevin K.

• Like 1

I do run SW some. Not a lot. I thought about the case fans but didn't want to get a lot of noise. Also thought about  changing the fan speed on the fans in the computer. Is this possible?

How hard is it to add the case fans.

What about the Geforce GTX 970? That is one model older than the 980.

I had a fan strapped to the back of the computer for about 3 weeks. When I started to pull more air across the video card, it began to let both monitor work. The fan was running wide open. The noise has been driving me crazy. Well the second monitor began to drop out again this morning. The quietness in the office is golden after all the noise the last couple of weeks.

Can you give reference to case fans you might recommend?

I do run SW some. Not a lot. I thought about the case fans but didn't want to get a lot of noise. Also thought about  changing the fan speed on the fans in the computer. Is this possible?

I had a fan strapped to the back of the computer for about 3 weeks. When I started to pull more air across the video card, it began to let both monitor work. The fan was running wide open. The noise has been driving me crazy. Well the second monitor began to drop out again this morning. The quietness in the office is golden after all the noise the last couple of weeks.

Can you give reference to case fans you might recommend?

Go to Newegg and look at Cougar case fans. Look for the size you need and the quietest one you can get. I've been running them for quite some time at home and they are very quiet. 

Adding them is pretty simple. Might check YouTube for some how to videos.

Kevin K.

Adding case fans are as simple as plugging them in,.... IF your power supply has extra plugs. Dell used to be infamous for not having ANY extra connectors.

There are quite a few makers of quiet fans with Noctua being very high quality.

Skip the 970, for a few more dollars you can get a lot more performance with a 980.  You may not need a 980Ti, just a regular 980 should be fine.  Anywhere from $320 on up for the 980 on Newegg.

ya know, Mastercam has been telling us to get Quadro's for years and now I think unless you are doing extremely highly complex models and rendering a bunch of STL's,

I am beginning to think it is a total waste of money.  I am going with a gaming Nvidia in the near future...

Someone explain it to me again why we need Quadro's when I hear so many people doing great with gaming cards....

• Like 1

ya know, Mastercam has been telling us to get Quadro's for years and now I think unless you are doing extremely highly complex models and rendering a bunch of STL's,

I am beginning to think it is a total waste of money.  I am going with a gaming Nvidia in the near future...

Someone explain it to me again why we need Quadro's when I hear so many people doing great with gaming cards....

Gaming cards have come a long way in the last decade or so. Back in the day Quadros were better because of how they work, now.. I'll stick with my GTX980.

My last card was a GTX560 (December). And never had an issue with Mastercam.