Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Circle Mill doesn't recognize stock.

JB7280

2 minutes ago, Thee Byte™ said:

When I was about 20, I was running two OKUMA's 20 feet apart, a 2" U-Drill was coming down to drill a deep hole, I was at the second machine and I looked over and the thru coolant didn't turn on 1 inch above the part.

I ran over..

By the time I stopped it the part and the drill were fused together, took me half an hour to get the tool out..

Not long ago we were running some 10X deep drills in Titanium and the through coolant pump decided to crap out in the middle of the cycle.  For some reason it didn't alarm the machine out.

lol. 

I don't suppose that I have to tell anyone how that ended.

14 minutes ago, DUM1 said:

not a huge fan of the circle mill when its tricky I usually revert to pocket 

I feel like pocket remachining would have worked fine for this case also..

1 hour ago, Thee Byte™ said:

I feel like pocket remachining would have worked fine for this case also..

It does work, but the old-school 'Pocket Toolpath', is a bit limited. The path motion itself is good, but the algorithm tends to put in sharp-corners in the toolpath being generated. (Although you can switch the 'step-over' method, to reduce this. There is even a Trochodial option, and the High-Speed Machining cut pattern can be used to avoid some of those sharp corners.)

But if you're going to the trouble of using a Pocket Toolpath, the 2D Dynamic is like "pocket on steroids", since you get that smooth entry/exit motion, and the new 'Air Chains' give you the ability to tell the path "where to enter", "what to cut", and "what to avoid".

The one place I do like the Pocket Toolpath, is on old machines with limited memory in their Controls.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Colin Gilchrist said:

It does work, but the old-school 'Pocket Toolpath', is a bit limited. The path motion itself is good, but the algorithm tends to put in sharp-corners in the toolpath being generated. (Although you can switch the 'step-over' method, to reduce this. There is even a Trochodial option, and the High-Speed Machining cut pattern can be used to avoid some of those sharp corners.)

I like the pocket toolpath, It's good for my purposes machining small pockets in softer materials where entry isn't so important.The trochoidal on classic pocket isn't very efficient.I usually use constant overlap spiral or parallel spiral.(fastest)

The advanced paths (Area Mill)(Dynamic Mil)have regions which are very useful, and allow you to more easily control your entry. Great for heavy duty roughing.

We usually have a few 1000 contour and pocket/drilling operations in a file, the performance is decent, would using Area Mill be faster?

I seem to remember Aaron saying that although the operations are multi threaded, the geometry and chains used determines whether or not multi threading will be used.

Something like that...

10 hours ago, Leon82 said:

When we were drilling the stuff we used Cobalt drills. It started a squeal so the co-worker hit the reset button. Being a matsuura the spindle just keeps running and the drill welded itself inside the hole

I hated that about the older Matsuura's.  Our new Matsuura came like that, but the install guys changed it for me.