Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Fanuc experts question

So not a Guru

@cncappsjames We have a large 5-axis Onsrud router with a Fanuc 31i control.

We recently got a nice Postability post for it. The ancient post that came with the machine did not use canned cycles or TWP, so all drilling ops were output as lines.

Now, when we use canned cycles the rapid moves, in the canned cycles only, at 100% rapid speed of the machine, regardless of what percentage the rapid is set to on the controller. If the rapid switch is set to 5%, the canned cycle moves still run at 100%.

Is there a parameter that will force the canned cycles to respect the control switch's setting?

1 minute ago, lowcountrycamo said:

You are saying in a g00 the rapid does not change with the override?

No, in non-canned cycles the rapids respect what the control switch is set to. It is only during canned cycle rapids, such as moving to or from a G98 clearance height to the "R" height, or the moves between pecks, that the switch's settings are ignored.

Problem with G68 on some machines is the Rapid will Dog Leg in Canned cycles. Chased this with one customer for months trying to figure out what the problem was. It was not until we slowed down the rapid in the Canned cycles did the issue go away. Onsrud may have found that they need to limit the amount of Rapid in Canned cycles to not have this issue. I would reach out to Travis at Onsrud and talk to him about it. Yes running point to point can be a pain, but the advantage in this case might have been the fact the moves for all the work was in Feed moves unless it was rapiding everything and not giving you a problem. If that is the case then that is something you will want to bring to Onsrud's attention that before it was G0, G1, G0, G1 and such and never dog legged when drilling, but now due to the parameter settings on the control it is doing what you are seeing. They should be able to walk you through the process of changing the parameters.

9 hours ago, So not a Guru said:

No, in non-canned cycles the rapids respect what the control switch is set to. It is only during canned cycle rapids, such as moving to or from a G98 clearance height to the "R" height, or the moves between pecks, that the switch's settings are ignored.

Oh I get it, Yes can cycles tend to override things, some for good reason, think tapping. Probably a parameter you can turn off but why?

• Like 1

Our Fanuc31 machines have an option enabled that eliminates dog leg rapid.  I think it was something like a $1k Fanuc option.  It was called linear rapid, or coordinated rapid, or something like that.  All of our 5-axis machines have it and there are zero dog leg rapids ever.

• Like 2
32 minutes ago, Bob W. said:

Our Fanuc31 machines have an option enabled that eliminates dog leg rapid.  I think it was something like a $1k Fanuc option.  It was called linear rapid, or coordinated rapid, or something like that.  All of our 5-axis machines have it and there are zero dog leg rapids ever.

Yes money well spent.

Just now, cncappsjames said:

Sorry for the delay guys...

image.png.158b97a7fe917cadfa21f0e99c2df4a9.png

Here's the parameter for the desired behavior if I'm reading the question right. On most of our 5-Axis machines it is set to 1.

Thank you sir as always. :unworthy:

• Like 1