Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

What Acronym do they use for Government / Military work?

I am trying to remember what acronym was used at a shop I worked at years ago when when we would do certain high priority government or military jobs they would have like a 3 or 4 letter acronym on the travelers I want to say it started with M perhaps? Sorry I know this one isn't very Mastercam related but it's the only place I figured I would get the correct answer. This would be the types of jobs that require DFARS material and what not and If necessary people always said they could demand you stop all other work in the shop and solely work on their jobs...

I found this article on Modern Machine shop I really thought it was about to say the acronym I am looking for. The closest they got was ManTech, but like I said think it was a 3 or 4 letter deal. 

https://www.mmsonline.com/articles/how-to-become-a-defense-industry-machined-parts-supplier last I heard this term was back in 2016 and it was a shop in Tucson so the fact they were talking about becoming a defense machine shop and mentioned phoenix...it got my hopes up. This is just one of those things that bug the hell out of you when really there is little need or importance to remember. Just one of my friends I worked with over there recalls the same thing but neither of us can remember the term/acronym.

These jobs were all ITAR as well, but the stupid acronym I'm looking for may have not been used many other places I recall my boss telling me what the letters stood for and he just said if we end up late on this job the military would be allowed to stop all other work until we finished their order. For all I know it could have been some xxxx he made up but I don't think so since I recall him explaining it in enough detail to tell me what every letter meant but it's been at least 8 years since that happened. sorry to send you all on a wild goose chase.

8 hours ago, Leon82 said:

DX or DO rating

AOG is to make short lead times

gravy is jobes that make lots of money and are esy

Yes thanks for telling me what I already knew LoL

2 hours ago, [email protected] said:

For all I know it could have been some xxxx he made up but I don't think so since I recall him explaining it in enough detail to tell me what every letter meant but it's been at least 8 years since that happened. sorry to send you all on a wild goose chase.

He's prolly describing what happens if they pulled your work...the company would be FUBAR 

• Haha 1

Do a search for "DPAS rating chart" you should come up with a .pdf made by DCMA. Almost everything everyone has posted falls under this document, which lines up with the verbiage you're using.

"Title 1 of the Defense Production Act (DPA) of 1950 is the statutory basis for the Defense Priorities and Allocations System (DPAS). Title 1 is also one of the non-permanent provisions of the DPA that needs to be periodically reauthorized, which Congress has done in the past for periods of 1 to 5 years. The DPA provides the President with the authority to require acceptance and priority performance on contracts and orders, and to allocate materials, services, and facilities to support national defense and emergency preparedness requirements. The President has delegated his priority and allocation authority to the Department of Defense, the Department of Homeland Security, and the Department of Energy according to resource required."

As you can see from the above excerpt, they can do a lot more then force you to start making a part you bid/won on. They can force historic parts on you if they can't source them from another shop(s) for some reason. DO and DX are ratings that fall under DPAS, with sub categories for different types of equipment under them.

The person you talked to previously was most likely referring to a sub category under the DPAS umbrella.

Hopefully the document provides some clarity.

• Thanks 1

Wow I really can't believe how many people tried to help me remember this. Unfortunately none of this sounds at all like what I recall I am going to Facebook message my old boss who explained the thing to me years ago I haven't talked to him in ages I will post back here with the response if I receive one. Thank you all very much for your efforts though

• Like 3