Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

A source for 60° head torx screws

So not a Guru

On 8/14/2023 at 7:58 PM, So not a Guru said:

Yeah, I finally found it on Ingersoll Rand's site. It's not a user friendly site.:rant:

Might have been tough because you've been looking at compressors instead of indexable tooling. 🤣😂  (juuuust kidding)

We usually keep a little drawer organizer with about 10-20 of each of the screws for any indexable Ingersoll tooling we have.  From what I'm told, those screws actually bend a tiny bit, as part of the design, which is what keeps the insert tucked in the pocket.  On most of our High Feed Mills we replace them at routine intervals, otherwise we end up losing screw heads, and inserts during cuts.

• Haha 1
18 hours ago, JB7280 said:

We usually keep a little drawer organizer with about 10-20 of each of the screws for any indexable Ingersoll tooling we have.  From what I'm told, those screws actually bend a tiny bit, as part of the design, which is what keeps the insert tucked in the pocket.  On most of our High Feed Mills we replace them at routine intervals, otherwise we end up losing screw heads, and inserts during cuts.

This one item is overlooked by so many shops. They are penny wise and $1000 foolish in this aspect. People just assume the little screws have an infinite shelf life and that loosening and tightening them repeatably has no effect on them. Bravo for your people and company for being on the leading edge of understanding and doing this.

Just had a conversation with a customer yesterday about the 80% rule in Inconel parts with High feed cutters. I got the we run them till the inserts break response. I then educated them on some the reasons why that is a bad idea. After my 4th point they agreed they need to rethink that mind set. For those who still like to learn things on this forum here are my 5 points.

#1 Work hardening the material and possible stress fractures in the material that could fail NDT inspection.

#2 Chasing a spot where a tool broke run the risk of tearing up the next tool and greatly reducing its tool life defeating the purpose of not swapping the tool before a failure point.

#3 Damage to the tool, holder, spindle, machine, part. I listed them in least to most severity of damage. For those paying attention we can discuss this one.

#4 Downtime and my 2 for 1 rule on time. My rule is for every minute you gain in any process or method you gain 2 minutes. The minute you gained plus a minute to put to use for the next part or something else.

#5 Scraped parts get the 3 for 1 rule. You loose the original time, replacement time and time that could have been used for something else. Stopping and taking an extra 5 minutes to make sure everything is like you expected before hitting the green button pays for it self if you end up scraping a part that only tool 3 minutes to make.

• Thanks 2
  • Like 2

Very good points Ron. I have started swapping screws on our feed mills as well. I feel they stretch and fail eventually. Screws are cheap. 

Another point, I think is over looked is using a torque wrench.  I buy a lot of them from Sloky. They are a clutch style, so it feels like you are really bearing down on it, and the screw stops turning. 

https://www.slokyusa.com/

I had a part last week where we were getting insert failure at 1 and 1/4 parts. Swapped holders to make sure we had adequate thru air to limit the heat ( was sub par in my opinion before) and also bought them torque wrenches. Now we go 7 parts and index the inserts instead of trashing a cutter. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1
23 minutes ago, crazy^millman said:

#4 Downtime and my 2 for 1 rule on time. My rule is for every minute you gain in any process or method you gain 2 minutes. The minute you gained plus a minute to put to use for the next part or something else.

I like the list, but why wouldn't #4 be "qty of parts to mfg" to 1 rule? If I have 1000 parts to make and I take a minute off the runtime, or parts change time, on part #3 then I end up saving 997 minutes, not 2 minutes. Unless I'm misunderstanding the point?

11 minutes ago, Jake L said:

I like the list, but why wouldn't #4 be "qty of parts to mfg" to 1 rule? If I have 1000 parts to make and I take a minute off the runtime, or parts change time, on part #3 then I end up saving 997 minutes, not 2 minutes. Unless I'm misunderstanding the point?

You gain one minute per part on the next part. That means you finished the job 997 minutes faster allowing you that 997 minutes you would have not had to use on the next job. You gained the original 997 minutes and then have 997 minutes to use on the next job you would have not had otherwise. That creates the 2 for 1 gain.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, crazy^millman said:

here are my 5 points.

Millman: manufacturing philosopher/realist. Flourished in the last part of the 20th Century, and beginning of the 21st. Propounded a set of laws the world generally ignores, to its detriment.

Joking aside, another phenomenal set of strategies that we will all learn from. And thanks for articulating them in a way the higher-ups and bean counters will understand.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Corey Hampshire said:

Very good points Ron. I have started swapping screws on our feed mills as well. I feel they stretch and fail eventually. Screws are cheap. 

Another point, I think is over looked is using a torque wrench.  I buy a lot of them from Sloky. They are a clutch style, so it feels like you are really bearing down on it, and the screw stops turning. 

https://www.slokyusa.com/

I had a part last week where we were getting insert failure at 1 and 1/4 parts. Swapped holders to make sure we had adequate thru air to limit the heat ( was sub par in my opinion before) and also bought them torque wrenches. Now we go 7 parts and index the inserts instead of trashing a cutter. 

Corey please do a time study on the lost time your company was getting by the old process to the new process. Take into account any scrap parts and present this to management to help them understand where and why investing in the correct tools that may cost more upfront save so much more in the long run.