Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Highfeed Function (Not High Feed Endmill)

Jake L

image.png.53355bd2497c7614341cf74de8a66e0a.png

I just accidentally clicked this "highfeed" button and went down a rabbit hole for half an hour looking into its functionality. I've never used this function before, but my question is, should I be using it? Is this something everyone uses and I've just never come across it? Or is this function outdated and rarely used?

TIA for any information!

no its not super great, plus with dynamic motion there is not typically any need to increase or decrease feedrates during a cut nor have i persoanlly ever seen any recommendations of feedrate changes during the cut by any tool vendors with trochoidal or dynamic motion. 

maybe it has a place with traditional milling processes but with dynamic or trochoidal type motion theres no need for it in my opinion and dynamic is pretty much the standard for high feed milling with solid carbide tools today so i think thats part of the reason the function gets little to no use today by mastercam users 

those are my opinions

edit: i did since find some supporting evidence from a tool vendors site that claims slowing down feeds in corners is still suggested with dynamic type motion, but i doubt there are many out there that actually do that 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Relic from a bygone era in the development of the software. Ranks right up there with separate T and C plane for operations and groups.

All three need to be removed from the software and focus made on the core product. Leaving these legacy process and methods in the core of the software from a software development stand point has to be a nightmare to maintain.

• Thanks 1
28 minutes ago, JoshC said:

edit: i did since find some supporting evidence from a tool vendors site that claims slowing down feeds in corners is still suggested with dynamic type motion, but i doubt there are many out there that actually do that 

I suppose it could come in handy if you had, let's say, a .275 internal radius that you're dynamically milling with a .5 dia tool, and you were worried about all that tool contact in the corner. typically though if this is a worry of mine I'll just increase the min radius in my dynamic toolpath and address that extra stock in the corner with a separate toolpath with lighter speeds/feeds.

• Thanks 1

its for machines without look ahead. you take a piece of aluminum or delrin and mill a hole and spring it out. then you increase the feed until it overcuts and put the values in the machine def or that box i cant remember. then when you use the function it should slow down the tool to avoid overshoot on the servos.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3
13 minutes ago, Kyle F said:

I suppose it could come in handy if you had, let's say, a .275 internal radius that you're dynamically milling with a .5 dia tool, and you were worried about all that tool contact in the corner. typically though if this is a worry of mine I'll just increase the min radius in my dynamic toolpath and address that extra stock in the corner with a separate toolpath with lighter speeds/feeds.

That is the best way to do it. Using a 3/4 endmill in a 1/16 radius then you are only going to get so close. In that case I will draw a .4 radius corner and then use that with 2D dynamic with a 1/2 endmill. Leave .002 for finish then come back and take my finish pass and have a nice day. Never once slow anything down expect for the finish pass since it is size on size and get good tool life and call it a day. You know what you know and get the results you want when you do it in a way to do what you need and not leave anything to chance.

4 minutes ago, Leon82 said:

its for machines without look ahead. you take a piece of aluminum or delrin and mill a hole and spring it out. then you increase the feed until it overcuts and put the values in the machine def or that box i cant remember. then when you use the function it should slow down the tool to avoid overshoot on the servos.

[sarcasm on\]

Oh no way your mention machine testing and getting real world results to make informed decisions. Come on man you start talking that crazy talk and people will think just that about you. You must be a crazy millman or something. 🤣🤣🤣

[sarcasm off/]

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
41 minutes ago, crazy^millman said:

That is the best way to do it. Using a 3/4 endmill in a 1/16 radius then you are only going to get so close. In that case I will draw a .4 radius corner and then use that with 2D dynamic with a 1/2 endmill. Leave .002 for finish then come back and take my finish pass and have a nice day. Never once slow anything down expect for the finish pass since it is size on size and get good tool life and call it a day. You know what you know and get the results you want when you do it in a way to do what you need and not leave anything to chance.

some people say it's "extra",.. makes me feel vindicated reading your response!

not many things feel nicer than hearing a brand new program of mine had 0 issues.

• Like 1
On 9/8/2023 at 12:12 PM, Kyle F said:

some people say it's "extra",.. makes me feel vindicated reading your response!

not many things feel nicer than hearing a brand new program of mine had 0 issues.

I get called into some shops for just that. They want a litmus test of what they are doing and how they are doing things. I go into some shops and honestly wonder why they are even bring me into their shop. These are world class organizations who know their stuff and it shows. Then I start doing my thing which is just ask questions and start getting to know the people. That is when I can do my best work and help. I helped a customer with a ti project earlier this year. Was using a Bull endmill running about 60 ipm. I suggest we swap out to a head style solid carbide shank high feed cutter tool. They kicked it up to 180 ipm and ended up saving a ton of money just swapping out heads verses buying the 6" long Solid Carbide tools there were buying. that one suggestion paid for the week of time i was there. The gravy was the time savings and tool life they got going about it that way. Funny they have since picked up several contract worth millions of dollars since I was there. I have seen that with many of our customers this year.

I help a different customer today understand how to make some changes in 5 Axis Swarf and tune the toolpath to get better results. We could have done it for them, but he wanted to learn and I was glad to teach him. That pretty made my week begin able to teach a customer's programmer how to do something he wanted to be better at doing. That kind of thing doesn't put food on the table or keep a roof over our head directly, but indirectly it does help give us the ability to get more work because I and our team do go that extra mile.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3
14 minutes ago, crazy^millman said:

I get called into some shops for just that. They want a litmus test of what they are doing and how they are doing things. I go into some shops and honestly wonder why they are even bring me into their shop. These are world class organizations who knew their stuff and it shows. Then I start doing my thing whhc is just ask questions and start getting to know the people. That is when I can do my best work and help. I helped a customer with a ti project earlier this year. Was using a Bull endmill running about 60 ipm. I suggest we swap out to a head style solid carbide shank high feed cutter tool. They kicked it up to 180 ipm and ended up saving a ton of money just swapping out heads verses buying the 6" long Solid Carbide tools there were buying. that one suggestion paid for the week of time i was there. The gravy was the time savings and tool life they got going about it that way. Funny they have since picked up several contract worth millions of dollars since I was there. I have seen that with many of our customers this year.

I help a different customer today understand how to make some changes in 5 Axis Swarf and tune the toolpath to get better results. We could have done it for them, but he wanted to learn and I was glad to teach him. That pretty made my week begin able to teach a customer's programmer how to do something he wanted to be better at doing. That kind of thing doesn't put food on the table or keep a roof over our head directly, but indirectly it does help give us the ability to get more work because I and our team do go that extra mile.

I am mainly self-taught, aside from a one week multi-axis class that somewhat helped open the door. Youtube, Redditt, and forums have now taught me sooo much more.

If my boss ever wants me to go up for any more teaching I'm going to recommend you hahaha. thanks ron

1 hour ago, Kyle F said:

I am mainly self-taught, aside from a one week multi-axis class that somewhat helped open the door. Youtube, Redditt, and forums have now taught me sooo much more.

If my boss ever wants me to go up for any more teaching I'm going to recommend you hahaha. thanks ron

How I feed my family and keep a roof over my head. I have offer some references if they need them.

I wouldn't miss anything if that button and the dynamite one went away for good.

How about adding an "isolate" button that would filter out all other operations except the ones currently selected? I use "Operation selection" often and its usability is terrible, because there is no way to isolate the selected operations. The operation tree is perhaps the oldest control still in use (?) and no amount of cosmetic changes, such as icon revamps, is going to make it better. It needs better design.

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

Thanks for all the responses!

It seems the consensus is the highfeed function may have been useful when it was first introduced, but modern machines and modern CAM functions have rendered the function obsolete.

I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing a tool in my toolbelt. It seems I was not, thanks again!

• Like 1
On 9/8/2023 at 5:00 PM, crazy^millman said:

Well I never had any training on Multiaxis so you are ahead of the curve over me in that regard.

Pretty much self taught and what I have picked up being on the forum.

More often than not, Ron is the one doing the schooling Hahahaha

I for one appreciate that!!