Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Chaining branch

SlaveCam

1 hour ago, AHarrison1 said:

Red goes straight or direction of next chain, blue (or green in 3d) is alternate

Yep, Red is the vector of the last chain, Blue/green is the alternate to that vector.  It makes a bit more sense if you see it compared to more obvious splits:

image.png.5a7f27a6874b0f494723af8ebf6518ac.png

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1
27 minutes ago, SlaveCam said:

It would be nice if the appropriate geometry was emphazied/boldened when you hover over the arrow.

+1

I agree, that would be clutch. I was seeing the red arrow select straight ahead or turn if the chain was modified somewhere else along the line. To see some idea on the path itself when you hover would be the best option

8 minutes ago, Aaron Eberhard said:

You can just click on the geometry itself you want when it's at a branch and it will continue chaining along that path...

Can you post an example file of it not working?  Mine was just a couple of lines & arcs I made in a second.

Was about to say the same... Im from the time before the arrows

Clicking on geometry makes it very easy to accidentally start a new chain without even noticing it, when the chain is very long.

There's been a lot of chaining work lately and it's constantly either a) clicking on the wrong arrow, going back and retry or b) clicking on wrong geometry, starting over

28 minutes ago, SlaveCam said:

Clicking on geometry makes it very easy to accidentally start a new chain without even noticing it, when the chain is very long.

There's been a lot of chaining work lately and it's constantly either a) clicking on the wrong arrow, going back and retry or b) clicking on wrong geometry, starting over

If you click on the wrong geometry and go down the wrong branch, don't Unselect (U) as that throws away the whole selection.  Use Previous (O) to go back one step.   You can iterate really quickly via the keyboard by using X (NeXt), J (AdJust), O (PreviOus) to just try your various options if there's ambiguity.    I'm not sure what the keyboard shortcuts would be in Finnish, of course :)

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, Aaron Eberhard said:

If you click on the wrong geometry and go down the wrong branch, don't Unselect (U) as that throws away the whole selection.  Use Previous (O) to go back one step.   You can iterate really quickly via the keyboard by using X (NeXt), J (AdJust), O (PreviOus) to just try your various options if there's ambiguity.   

Good tip but It's not that I select a wrong branch, but start another chain without noticing it until it is too late and then it is just faster to start over.

3 hours ago, Aaron Eberhard said:

I'm not sure what the keyboard shortcuts would be in Finnish, of course :)

Doesn't matter, I never use localized version (for good reasons 😁)

On 1/26/2024 at 5:42 PM, Aaron Eberhard said:

You can iterate really quickly via the keyboard by using X (NeXt), J (AdJust), O (PreviOus)

Nice, I'll have to start using that.

I wish the camera followed the chaining progress, though.

I've only clicked on geometry to select the next entity. Clicking the arrow never even occurred to me. When selecting any chain, you click on the geometry to select it. When MC finds a branch point, clicking on the geometry seemed like the logical thing to do.

• Like 1
On 2/1/2024 at 2:28 PM, Thad said:

I've only clicked on geometry to select the next entity. Clicking the arrow never even occurred to me. When selecting any chain, you click on the geometry to select it. When MC finds a branch point, clicking on the geometry seemed like the logical thing to do.

Sure thing, the problem is that both arrows overlap the geometry (lots of small segments) so you have to keep zooming in to be able to click the geometry and then zoom out to get the big picture. So I thought maybe I should just learn to click the arrow.