Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

A solids question

1st post here.

I'll try to be succinct.

We are currently running v9.1 mr0304 Level 1.

We have gone to Unigraphics for our design software, so now I am getting Solids files which a parasolids. I have no problem importing them or even creating toolpaths. One question is what are the pluses and minuses of upgrading to level 3.

Will it gain me any ease of programming or is it just more complication that is not really necessary at this point?

It depends on what kind of work you are doing.

If you stick to 2 1/2axis milling, Level 1 may

take care of all your needs.

If you are going to be doing surfacing, 4axis

rotary work or 5 axis milling, you will need to move to Level 3.

I originally purchased Mastercam Level1 Mill

and Lathe. Within 6 months, I upgraded to Solids and Level 3 Mill.

I've never regretted it.

Ask your dealer for a Level 3 30-60 day trial license. If you do, I'll bet you buy it when the trial expires.

You can check out the various packages here

Mastercam Mill Products

quote:

Will it gain me any ease of programming or is it just more complication that is not really necessary at this point?

Your gonna get more options, which can definetly

make life easier for you.

As for as complicating life thats up to you.

If not Level3 perhaps Level2 is all you need.

Let us know what type of work you do.

PEACE biggrin.gif

Well if you look here: www.mastercam.com/

They are runniing a promotion right now. For what we do soilds is one of the best tools we could have. It makes life eiaser and helps create some thing 1/4 faster than with surfaces. Example need to make a curved base in the base you need a cavatiy that of a hexagon. You then need ot creat some aligment slots say 12 of them. You need there ot bo on the male and female of the mold and you also needs some holes through the upper and lower halves of each one. I could problay desgin this out of solids for each one in less than 5 minutes now I want the same thing made out of surfaces for everything in my humble opinion will take you alot longer than 5 minutes to do the same. Now here is a kicker you now need ot add fillets to all corners again solids in this instance kicks but.

This is my opinion and use it how you see fit.

jmparis,

If you'd like, call us and we'll set up a demo for you at your company. Gcode and Surface and others are right on the money. It all depends on the type of machining you're doing now or what you plan on doing in the future. Expanding the capabilities of your company is a good thing in today's ever-changing market. Having the flexibility to do what you want using Mcam as a tool with it's fullest capabilities, will open up more opportunities to increase production and future growth. idea.gif There are just some things that you can't do with your current level of Mcam Mill. Either that or it would take you more than 10X the work to program it with your current seat as it would if you upgraded to Mill Level 3 with Solids. HTH cheers.gif

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Like what has been posted above... it really depends on the type of work you do or want to do.

Your best bet is to do what you are going to do, contact your reseller and have them show you what Level 3 can do for you and your operation.

HTH

quote:

we'll set up a demo for you at your company

Peter,

A software dealer needs to act like the dope dealer down on the corner. Don't give a demo.

Give the software away(for thirty days).

Once a customer's hooked, you've got him biggrin.gif

At the time, I could see any good reason to

buy the solids module even after sitting though a demo. My dealer left me a thirty day trial.

When the 30 days were up, I thought someone had broken my arm. I couldn't get my checkbook out fast enough.

[ 06-01-2004, 01:38 PM: Message edited by: gcode ]

gcode,

The 30 day trial is always a possibility. The purpose for my post reply was to introduce ourselves. biggrin.gif He may not know who his reseller is or wasn't aware that he had any choice in the New England states. smile.gif If his company is already our client, than it doesn't hurt to say "hello" on the forum and give him a name to associate with the software and outstanding service provided. cheers.gif

Wow, Again, I say Thanx to all for your reply's.

BTW Peter, I did call today, spoke with Frank for about 10 minutes. Now I have to wait and see what the people at the pay grades above mine want to do.

jmparis,

I'm glad to hear you got things rollin'. Don't let it "run it's course". The old addage is correct: "the squeaky wheel gets the grease". You'll be amazed at what you can accomplish with the right set of tools. Mcam is no different. Mill 3 with Solids ROCKS ! biggrin.gif Once you get the upgrade and Solids module, don't neglect the training either. Knowing how to use the new tools at your disposal will be much more productive than "hunting and pecking" for the right way to do things as you go.

Good luck with the "higher pay grade" people. A little hint with that. They're the ones to make the decision but you're the one who'll have to work with their decision. Bottom line is productivity. You'll naturally be able to increase productivity because you'll be programming more parts with less time and effort. biggrin.gifcheers.gif

Well now I find out today tthey are bringing in a demo for UG Cam. I'm thinking "great I have to learn another one." This one though seems to be little used from what I see.

I know its slightly OT in this forum but does anyone have any input about it that might help?