Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

MR0304 opens with DOS file name?

J Coulston

I am running WinXpPro and MR0304 when I double click to open a MC9 file, MC truncates the file name and path to what looks like an old eight character DOS file name. If the file name is "S20215 4 POLE HOUSING LEFT & RIGHT.MC9" Mc will open it as S20215~2.MC9.

My box at home opens with the correct file name. I have tried CNCreg, File Get both Standard Windows and MasterCam, same problem. SP2 on the same box will still open correctly.

Any ideas?

Thanks

I am not sure if this will solve your problem.

I have received calls from customer running XpPro

with Mastercam and not being able to see long file names.

It is a different problem but the solution is to change a setting in Windows Explorer.

Open explorer and go to tools, folder option, veiw and turn off hide extension for known file types.

FYI,

Hello,

quote:

I am running WinXpPro and MR0304 when I double click to open a MC9 file, MC truncates the file name and path to what looks like an old eight character DOS file name. If the file name is "S20215 4 POLE HOUSING LEFT & RIGHT.MC9" Mc will open it as S20215~2.MC9.

My box at home opens with the correct file name. I have tried CNCreg, File Get both Standard Windows and MasterCam, same problem. SP2 on the same box will still open correctly.

I am having the exact same problem at home because I am running XPPro but I just havn't got around to figuring it out yet.

So, have other people also had this problem?

mab, Thanks for the tip, I will try that.

Mike

• 2 months later...

J Coulston,

I believe Greg McKay hit the nail on the head. Try his solution. The problem is not in Mcam or in Win XP itself. We have been using Win XP Pro for a couple of years now in every version of Mcam since V7. The Windows Explorer settings are what controls the name length of the file to read. HTH biggrin.gif

Mike and John and others,

One suggestion to avoid this is to simply forget about double-clicking on a file to open it in Mcam from Windows Explorer. I've found other issues doing this that simply didn't exist when performing a File-Get from within Mcam. I realize it's faster to open a file in Mcam when double-clicking it from Explorer but I don't trust Microsoft to make their software compatible with Mcam so it runs flawlessly. Windows Exploder hasn't earned that knickname for no reason. Keeping the O/S updated isn't a bad idea either. Updating software is like changing the oil in your car. It's the "best mechanic" for preventative maintenance. HTH cheers.gif