Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

O/T Mozilla

Rekd™

It is too much integrated to Microsoft OS and especially to Explorer (shell ,spec ).

It is greatest browser for Dumbs ,so that too

many actions are possible to make from web side of connection .

If you have and use Outlook express/Outlook ,you are ten times more vulnerable .

It can be used relatively safe but your must tweak it too much ,and if you disable this and that ,Mozilla is better anyway .

BTW I tried Opera once .

Nice

My first browser was Explore (not explorer ) ,then I jumped to netscape 2 (under win3.11 )

I use IE too ,but with condition that this computer is stand -alone and not LAN connected and only internet station ,nothing else ,those who will hack me ,will not gain too much .

I will never use it on my home main station .

Teh Doominant ruinator

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To re-iterate one more time. Mozilla is NOT integrated into the operating system. If a hacker hacks Mozilla all they want; they'll bring down Mozilla. Yay! rolleyes.gif

If a hackers hacks IE (like so many already have) they have an entrance to Windows itself (read: your computer with all your stuff) due to IE integration. I've had some 'educational' fun with people using the same broadband service as me due to some of IE's exploits, but others may be looking to nasty things. "You can see my Tu-Pac desktop wallpaper?!?!?" was the best thing I was ever asked...fond memories of the Code Red worm smile.gif

Also, since Mozilla is open-source, anyone (assuming they know how to use CVS) can see the source-code. This forces the Mozilla developers (who are not paid to do this but do so out of a labour of love to make the best web browser) to keep their code tight. Trust me, when other developers can see your work, you tend to go the extra mile to make sure you don't come off looking like a dumbass.

If you want a comparison to argue the "hackers will hack whatever's more popular" notion, take web server software. Apache, also open-source, is the most popular web server by far...really far (this forum you're at right now is running on Apache). It's closest competitor is IIS from Microsoft. IIS has had so many patches released for it, it's not even funny (a new one was released last week). IIS's default install is so full of holes, Microsoft had to release a "lock-down" tool. Apache, for the most part, has seen far fewer exploits...and it's the market leader and it's been around longer.

PS: Microsoft will be releasing an anit-virus product in the very near feature. For the love of everything sacred in this world, DO NOT buy it. Stick with anti-virus products from Symantec, McAfee, Grisoft, Trend, Computer Associates, etc. I'm not Microsoft-bashing, this is just common sense.

I understand that the browser isnt linked to your OS.

When I said that nothing was unhackable, I wasnt talking about hacking the browser, I was speaking about explioting it to gain access into your system. You'd be surprised to know who is in there already wink.gif

I don't claim to be all that technical and stuff, but it seems to me your browser is just one, of a bunch of doorways into your system.

Even though, Mozilla isn't linked to your OS, it does open up the door and will let the flys in if you have holes in your screen, so to speak.

And if you get tricked into opening up the screen door... well... there you go...

Using Mozilla does make sense though....at least it keeps out the riff-raff and will let you browse the super-information highway with the least worries......

I had Firefox installed and was going to try it out when I had my mysterious radio trouble, at the time, it wouldnt work either....Now that my system is up an going again, I am going to try it again...

I hate popups and spam....

I'm like the Owl dude, and don't put any personal info on my PC that hooks up to the NET....

Murlin teh paraniod biggrin.gif

quote:

Even though, Mozilla isn't linked to your OS, it does open up the door and will let the flys in if you have holes in your screen, so to speak.

And if you get tricked into opening up the screen door... well... there you go...

If you want to be technical, any app on your computer can be used, if its developers didn't/forgot to tidy up the loose ends wink.gif Mozilla and other browsers make it more difficult for hackers than IE. If Mozilla is a screendoor, IE is a screendoor off of its hinges entirely biggrin.gif

quote:

If Mozilla is a screendoor, IE is a screendoor off of its hinges entirely

LOL I heard dat smile.gif .....

Simetimes I think that Microsoft does this crap on purpose.....you know.....adding all the bugs and security flaws rolleyes.gif

Open source guys always had the right philosophey about software....

Murlin

Hi

Been using Mozilla now for over a year, and it works great. It does some weird stuff every now and then, but that is a SAMLL price to pay for not having to deal with IE.

I paid like $30 for a one year subscription with updates and a CD sent to me.

Happy 4th

John

Using IE it`s like to leave house not closed

Well ,having close it you can be robbed ,anyway ,but why to mess with a keys or to brake the door when the neighbore`s door wide open ?

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sometimes I think that Microsoft does this crap on purpose

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sure .

That`s from the win95/98 days ,active desktop ,explorer/IE integration and integration with outlook ,ActiveX and so on .

You are regardeD AS LAMER ,and being so why to deal with security and such a mess .

To hell with it -CLICK ON THIS ,like ape !

If you compare it with Unix approach that is kinda more logical you will have a situation ,you must go here ,get access to this ,change config to that ,get to appropriate user appropriate rights

To hell with rights ,sais Microsoft and you install as admin without password !

Try to install respectable Linux/Unix flame as

root without password .

It will spoil less then 8 letters ,you will be not able to make it as michael ,david or spiderman .

But you will have problems ,issues ,questions ,will read books and became a USER ,not a guru ,but a man ,that feels himself comfortable .

No need ,sais Microsoft ,just click on that.

Murlin ,you`ll get what you want .

And to hack Mozilla is not to the same as to hack IE ,it is more like to hack calc.exe program .

Teh guest account

Taken from the article....

quote:

You've probably been told to dump Internet Explorer for a Mozilla browser before, by the same propeller-head geek who wants you to delete Windows from your hard drive and install Linux.

ROFL!!!

You hear Dat Bully rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifbiggrin.gif

Well, I for one don't think all you Linux users are Geeks.......a little weird maybe , but not Geeks..... cheers.gif

Murlin

I'm considering changing also (not a big problem at this time with IE). Do I remember someone saying that media player will not work with Mozilla? If not, what is available?

Need to have all the bases covered before changing the home PC's and something doesnt work for the wife, kids and parents.

Websites using embedded Windows Audio are hit 'n' miss with non-IE browsers. In those 'miss' situations, I use a Mozilla/Firefox extension called IE View.

If the website uses external links to Windows Media that launch Windows Media Player, you're fine. Also, other media player types like QuickTime and Real have no problems with the Mozilla browsers.

Got it Brendan. You spell good for a 'tard. biggrin.gif

Mozilla doesn't have anything for FTP yet, cept the browser that doesn't connect to Cadcam's site. Try FileZilla. Not by Mozilla, but along the same lines. Very nice. I'll find the link, it's in one of these anti-MS threads. biggrin.gif