Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

O/T Spyware & Adware Protection

Rob B

I have a ? about what I need to use to protect my system. First I would like to say that I have moved to Foxfire & Thunderbird from Mozzila.

I have also ran SpyBot.

I downloaded XoftSpyware and ran a scan on my machine. I had several things that needed to be deleted. When I went to delete them, the software want me to purchase it.

I am running Norton's Anti Virus. It will need to be re-upped this month. Do I get spyware included in there package. Should I change to McAfee on everything. Or should I use something like Xoftspyware.

Also does anyone have any pro's or con's on Norton's or McAfee?

quote:

First I would like to say that I have moved to Foxfire & Thunderbird from Mozzila.

This is prolly the best thing you could do to keep from the little buggas getting into your system.

I have only recently changed from I/E to firefox,and will never /ever go back.

Internet explorer can kiss my xxxx!

I run scans now from ad-aware and spy-bot,and spy-sweeper and come up empty now that I use Mozilla.

Thanks to the guys here that took me by the hand!!! cheers.gif

Hi,

This weekend I was in my local computer store to buy a router ( I am on cable) and asked the same question. They said not to use McAffee or Norton because they are the most common, therefore the most hacked. I also use Windows XP, and told it is also the most hacked. I now use zone alarm and AVG virus protector <--- free. Both suggested from the store. If your using cable, should also use a router... I don't know about DSL tho.

Good luck

CNC Girl

Also check out this app...show it on the now defunked TechTV.

Spyware Blaster

quote:

The most important step you can take is to secure your system. And SpywareBlaster is the most powerful protection program available.

- Prevent the installation of ActiveX-based spyware, adware, browser hijackers, dialers, and other potentially unwanted pests.

- Block spyware/tracking cookies in Internet Explorer and Mozilla/Firefox.

- Restrict the actions of potentially dangerous sites in Internet Explorer.

BTW it's free cheers.gif

quote:

They said not to use McAffee or Norton because they are the most common, therefore the most hacked.

This is faulty logic at best. confused.gif

I have tried most popular antivirus and firewall software packages on several different operating systems and have found most are very effective at what they do. The idea that since they are hacked most often, they shouldn't be used is illogical. They are most attacked because they are the BEST at what they do, and hackers can't stand it!

I use the combination of Norton AV and Zone Alarm firewall and have no problems whatsoever. (I found that McAfee AV made my system a bit unstable, but it did work well at keeping virus attacks away.) A router is always a good idea for cable and dsl lines because it acts as a hardware firewall which provides a 'first line' defense against intrusion. That along with a good software firewall and AV program should be all you need.

cheers.gif

Norton Internet Pro here and love it. I have been attacked 12 times and it stopped everytime. I had 1200 spmas on my old internet service provider caugth them all. One click and they where in trash and then when I exit complete cleaning. I have it for blocking Java as well as any other things that might get by Mozilla but really doubt they will. I still run the adware and catch the occasional cookie but that is about it.

Agreeed if you use the best you can expect the best but probelm is I.E is far from the best even the makers have tried brainwashing the world it is and not having much luck with that scam anymore.

Ok Mike I think he would like ot do Mastercam on it and get stuff done in his life time. biggrin.gifeek.gifbiggrin.gifeek.gif

quote:

Agreeed if you use the best you can expect the best but probelm is I.E is far from the best even the makers have tried brainwashing the world it is and not having much luck with that scam anymore.

100% agree w/ Millman. If you are using IE you are ALWAYS at risk for security violations no matter which AV / firewall you use! I neglected to mention that earlier thinking that EVERYONE knows that! I switched to Mozilla a while ago and have had smooth sailing ever since.

Just this year we bought System mechanic 4 from iolo software. It is quite handy. Not only includes adware and spy ware protection but also recovery from deleted files. It performs a bucnch of activities and I found it really usefull.

I think the trial version will be available on net. cheers.gif

I use adaware and norton. I noticed yesterday that when the norton update defs popped up and I closed it it made an ad pop up up.

Most of the ads that pop up seem to be for some spyware or another. Has anyone else seen the one with the little green bugs doin their thing with a caption of "Spyware is using your pc to replicate."

I have Trend Micro anti-virus software. Its ok, but a tad annoying popping up for updates whenever it feels like it. Norton is better - no annoying pop-ups, just updates in the background. Thats on my work computer.

I've used McAfee. Didn't like it at all. Way too annoying [just update, quit bothering me!].

I should have a firewall, oh well eek.gif think I'll get one soon. Norton Internet Pro is very good I hear. The best firewall out there, IMO, bar none is Zone Alarm. Spyware software? I hear Spycop is the best at finding them but its a hassle deleting them! You gotta do it, Spycop will assist you but can't delete it on its own. Gotta contact the manufacturer rolleyes.gif

Rob, thanks for the Firefox and Thunderbird tip. I'll look into it.

I've got a router on my cable modem at home. I'm running XP pro. Does anybody know if the software firewall that comes with XP do a decent enough job of protecting the computer with the router providing the hardware firewall?

Smit,

IMHO...Like everything else MS does, the XP firewall is OK but not the greatest. I have Zone Alarm Pro as my software firewall and have had no problems whatsoever. It is reasonably priced and does an excellent job. If you run that behind your router your system becomes *almost bulletproof.

*Note: If some skilled hacker really wants to get into the average person's home system, it is virtually impossible to stop them...but this setup will keep most neophyte hackers from pestering you.

cheers.gif

Well I use Norton Internet Pro to keep those people off and yeah if they really want to they can but I have what most businesses have when it coemto protection and yeah I have had people trying to hack in but it has showed when and even their IP adress and where in the world that IP adress is registered. I got one guy in Orange country that tried about 3 or 4 times for a couple months I then fowards all I had ot the FBI and guess what he quit trying to hack into my computer imagine that. Not sure if they ever did anything about ti but was strange it just quit all of a sudden. I figure he either got it or he got stopped. Either way I never keep anything personal on the computer no account numbers, no on line banking, and I do not do purchases via the internet. I figure better safe than sorry when it comes to that. Just my thoughts is all.

Also, keep in mind that many intercepted "hack attacks" that firewalls receive are from zombie computers. Zombies are computers infected with self-propegating worms. Often, it's a worm on somebody's computer that is trying to spread itself to yours; the person generally has no idea that their computer is doing this.

When I check the log on my router it is constantly being "attacked", but I have not even had a virus caught by Norton since I installed it. My guess is nothing is getting past the router that isn't supposed to, and since I use Firefox I'm not getting any of the crap.

I'm using "GrannyNet" or dail-up. Don't have a router. Should I get one or would it do any good with dail-up.

If I get the Norton's Internet Pro, will it get rid of the links that Xoftspyware shows that I have on my computer?

quote:

I'm using "GrannyNet" or dail-up. Don't have a router. Should I get one or would it do any good with dail-up.

Rob,

A router is generally used for multiple device hookups on a single cable or dsl line. The devices 'share' the bandwidth that you have available, so real-time internet connection speed is an issue. With a dial-up connection, speed is generally on the low end anyway, so if you were to try to connect multiple computers with a single dial-up connection they would run even slower than usual if trying to access a web page or download anything simultaneously. That's probably the reason I've never seen a router for dial-up connections. I don't believe anyone makes one b/c they would be horribly inefficient. Every router I've ever seen have cat-5 or usb connections, but not standard phone jack type connectors. (btw...usb internet connections should be avoided like the plague anyway...trust me on this one.)

I personally had to be dragged kicking and screaming into the cable internet realm, but now that I'm here I'll NEVER go back!! wink.gif