Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Are you doing better now than you were four years ago?

Rekd™

I'm curious if the Democrats are just pulling my leg about the economy being the worst it's been in however long they said it was. I, for one, am doing MUCH better now. Like MORE than 50% more income, a house that's trippled in value, new cars every couple years, etc etc etc...

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Definitely better without a doubt. Guess I'm in good company. I hope every member comes and votes. I'd liek to see a few thousand votes. That would be a nice poll.

yea my buddy goes out to glamis every thanksgiving. he bought one of those little dune buggies that a snowmobile engine in it. i forget what its called but i know it was like ten grand.yea he showed me a bunch of pics from out there, he said theres like 1000's of people that show up. i think it was last year that mickey thompson showed up with his truck and was jumpin it like 100+ feet. i'm supposed to have gone with him but always endin up haven to work, maybe this year though.

If you're ever in SD during the season, lemme know and I'll try to schedule a trip out there and you can go with us.

In Glamis, (Imperial Sand Dunes Recreation Area), on Thanksgiving you can expect to see upwards of 150,000 to 200,000 people OR MORE. I don't go to Glamis on big weekends, too many idiots, too many people getting hurt, too many people that only go there to party and not to ride. On big weekends we go to the other end of the dunes, Gordons Well. More family oriented. (Ack. I'm getting old, aren't I?)

Define 'better.'

Personally, I'm making less money, putting more money away, debt-free (other than the mortgage), have a better home life, and am generally happier all around. I guess I'd call that 'better,' but it's all been a matter of choice and doesn't have a damn thing to do with anything the G'mnt does.

By the way, in another thread one of you conservative guys said that it takes 4 to 5 years for economic policy to really have its effect, so shouldn't all of you who are doing better be thanking Clinton? Or is that 4 to 5 year thing just something you trot out when it works for ya? biggrin.gif

Glad to see you're doing better, Mark. wink.gif Now we need to work on your skirting and side-stepping.. wink.gif

As the poll suggests; I'm wondering if the Dems are speaking the truth, or if it's just another ploy to get people away from a repug in the big seat..

So far I'm leaning towards the latter..

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

...By the way, in another thread one of you conservative guys said that it takes 4 to 5 years for economic policy to really have its effect, so shouldn't all of you who are doing better be thanking Clinton? Or is that 4 to 5 year thing just something you trot out when it works for ya?...

Some policies take time (trade policies, partnerships, exports/imports, etc...), some have immediate (1 year or less) impact like tax breaks for corporations (example, as a result of a Bush policy to stimulate spending on durable goods we invested over 3 million in machine tools last year to take advantage of something put in place after 9/11). Our purchases during that year no doubt helped save some jobs at the machine tool dealer.

As a result of a previous administration's policy regarding China's MFN status we're seeing some trade imbalance, though it could be argued that many of the problems facing our trade with China could be the Chinese policy on holding US currency.

Better for me is I am not working 2 jobs anymore, my benefits are better, check that, INFINITELY better, 401k only took a hit for 2 quarters and is back up to it's highest level without me changing stuff around. Only owe on 1 car and a Radio SHack card. It's a struggle making it on one income though. If i was not getting taxed up the wazoo every time I turn around I would be WAY better off.

JMHO

[ 07-21-2004, 05:28 PM: Message edited by: James Meyette ]

quote:

How'd you know that I'm into traditional Scottish dancing?

..and work on your dodging as well.. wink.gif

Serious, Mark, I fully respect your opinions, and have actually taken light of some of them. Thanks for helping me see some things I was blind to before. (Not that it changes my views/beliefs, but I am more open minded because of you.)

cheers.gif

Up to this year I have been about even. I'm "slavery" as James calls it so my wages go up every year consistantly. But this year I'm paying 70.00 a month more in gas alone. The electric has gone up 30% and I live within 20 miles of two nuclear plants. Natural gas has gone up 50% Food prices have shot up 20%. I can understand the gas situation because we're stuck bying foreign oil but we get our natural gas from Texas. After adding up the real cost of living there's a lot smaller stack of money in my banking acounts. Morgage rates have come down but they were low four years ago.

I'm not going to blame the GOP or the Dems, but if we don't do something about the energy situation, next year will be worse than this year.

Tim, I live in one of the most expensive places in the country that gets paid well below the nat'l average. EVERYTHING here is going up. We're paying $2.09 to $2.25 a gallon for gas. Energy? LoL. Taxes? LoL. Food? LoL. It's all going up. And my commute time is going up too, bringing my net wages down. (I'm hourly). Yet between my wife and I we're making twice what we were 4 years ago. I'm sure there's a good percentage of people that are stagnent or declining, but as a whole, I can clearly see a growing economy. (Mayhaps it's the push for war toys, which isn't a good thing)

Bottom line, I agree. Something needs to be done. We're on the right track, IMNSHO, by getting more money back into the people's hands, but we've got a long way to go, in many different directions. :rant:And on a personal note, I don't think the possibility of having a laywer in the hot seat is going to be a good thing for the economy. Unless you make your living sueing Micky D's cuz you're too stupid to realize the coffee might be, you know.. hot.:/rant:

Am I doing better?

Absolutely! wink.gif

But IMO,this is a question based on all of what you make of it.

Ask some of the guys out on our shop floor this question,and you might not like the answer!

Some people are just plain miserable all their life and only drag themselves down.

I myself would never base my success in life from what some moron politician has stolen from me and my family or has giving back a littlein my paycheck.

They don't really care about me or you anyway! rolleyes.gif

After all,no matter who we have running our office,(good or bad,republican or democrat) there will still be bums living in the streets who may always be bums no matter who is in office.

It is all up to what you make of yourself. cheers.gif

Now I will vote biggrin.gif

Matt,

I agree we don't need a lawyer in office. What we DO need is a conservative super (or near) majority in the senate. IMHO the real power is in congress. The president controls the executive orders but congress controls the purse strings. If the people got the wimps (girly men) out of congress a lot more would be done to make our lives better. Let's face it, a lot of the cost of products we consume is because of litigation and extreme conservation. When the goverment won't let the farmers plow their land because somebody saw some ducks in a low lying springtime mudpuddle it costs us money, and right now we do need oil from Alaska if for no other reason to make OPEC lower their prices.

I'm not living in my car yet, but if this inflation keeps moving up it's going to get tough.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

...It is all up to what you make of yourself...

+1000

We (my wife and I) have made some lifestyle choices that has contributed to us being better off now more so that what goes on (or does not for that matter) in Washington/Sacramental(sic). But hey, I'd be wrong if I didn't say "every little bit from anywhere helps".

quote:

...When the goverment won't let the farmers plow their land because somebody saw some ducks in a low lying springtime mudpuddle it costs us money...

See, the enviro-nazis have taken conservation and habitat preservation to the radical extreme. When a person cannot develop/sell/lease THIER multi-million dollar piece of PRIVATE not public property because of some "Flower loving fly" (yes that is a real insect, I did not make it up), I have a real problem with that. There is a rather large parcel in my city that cannot be developed for this exact reason. Prime commercial retail much needed sales tax generating land cannot be developed because of some stinking fly... rolleyes.gif While I do agree that we need to preserve wildlife habitat, I also believe there are enough National/State/City parks where these critters can live, be fruitful and multiply. So, let PRIVATE property be developed in accordance with LOCAL zoning and laws period. The flys, birds, and other critters will find other places to live trust me, they've been doing it for hundreds if not thousands of years. About 3/4 of my city is a State Park, there is PLENTY of similar habitat all over the place to relocate these critters.

Just my observation.

[ 07-21-2004, 10:12 PM: Message edited by: James Meyette ]