Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Haas Mini mill

Racer X

I have recently gone out on my own. Work has been pretty steady and I have been feeding a local CNC house work since I have no machining center yet. I am going to look at a Mini Mill today. Does anyone have any opinions on this machine? I will be using in mostly for modeling, and light machining so it should hold up fine, correct?

I have only run a Haas a couple of times. The bulk of my experience is with Okuma, Mori Seiki, and Deckel. If I had buckets of money, I would buy one of these. This however, is going to be a cash sale so I am wanting to spend as little as I have to. I spoke with my Mastercam reseller on Tuesday and my eval will be on its way as soon as I get set up with a machine.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I consider Haas machines the best buy for your buck! I personally own a Haas VF2, its been a excellent machine. At my full time job we have Haas, Okuma, Miyano & Excel machines. I feel the Haas is by far the best of them all!! Consider repair & parts costs when you look at machines. We pay a 10 to 1 ratio!! If a part cost 300.00 from Haas, it'll cost 3000.00 from Okuma. And it'll take 2-3 times as long to get it!

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

We have a Mini Mill. For light duty work it works well. If I were in the market for this type of machine the Haas would be my choice. It is gutless though. You can use the autofeed feature to help minimize the effects of this though.

Also you should consider a VF1 instead. Some of the std. features on a VF1 are options on a Minimill. The VF1 is a heaver machine too. But the mini is smaller & I think it runs on 1 phase or 3 phase. Get lots of memory. You'll need it later.

I have real space constraints. That is why the Mini mill as opposed to the VF1. If I get anything larger I will have to add on or move. Plus the single phase is a plus. I won't need any additional wiring run. Just plug and play. Or should I use the old Windows term of Plug and Pray?

Thanks guys!

We've used a 4 axis mini-mill for about three years now with nearly no problems. Not bad considering this machine is dedicated to machining carbon fiber parts - a pretty hostile environment wouldn't you say? It's a small work envelope as T_Malena says, but I don't need a lot and don't apply any serious tool loads. The question is-what are your needs?

I used one for about a year and a half....good machine, not much power though but then it;s not a very big machine. If used conservatively it'll do just fine. Heavy cuts though and the holders make a thump at the next tool change....

Jim

weve had 2 minis for a few years now allin all a good value for the buck what every one else has said is right on ill add that we bought stub dr-32 holders that put the collet up inside the 40 taper part for super stub it will give you more roon in the Z axis witch is what youll need if you have a vise or bigg part on the table the z travel was this machines only probulem for us