Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

extend surface

foolsh

Nothing that I'm aware of that is "a sure thing." Moldplus might be your best option to extend surfaces.

You *may* be able to untrim the surfaces, then trim them back to your liking.

If the surfaces are somewhat critical, I'll extract edge curves, create a spline at the furthest endpoints to close it up in a triangle, then create a coons surface to close the gap.

If I'm extending surfaces to creating runoff, the gaps are usually small enough that the cutter couldn't fall down into them anyway. So I leave them.

Thad

I guess I'm eating crow on this one...

quote:

If this is for tool movements like for tool not entering material in milling ,in ver9 no need to do it

How do you do this? Do you add an offset value in the containment boundary section? I've just recently started using this and so far it works well. I wasn't sure of it's limitations...if any.

Thad

Thad .

In toolpathes like Surface-parallel or radial

In gap settings add the value to tangental line length

Each surface toolpath gap has an entry and exit point. You can place tangential arcs or lines at these points in order to create smoother tool motion between gaps. These options are not available if you select the Follow surfaces gap motion option (found under When motion is smaller than gap size on the Gap Settings dialog box). You can set the radius and angle of these arcs and/or the line length in the Gap Settings dialog box.

In surface-contour you have entry-exit arc-line with

it`s options ,especially nice when you milling undercut

Then came Pooh. For me, it's just a turn off. I'm not into playing Make Believe. That's all.

What do you use for surface rough pocket?

still you can use gap setting , but for parts like boss i use plunge outside contaiment boundary .

And I do not see much sense in extending surfaces for pocket .if I really need it I alwais can build something "dirty" .

Because these are the fake surfaces ,something fast like surface ->ruled

Then came Pooh. For me, it's just a turn off. I'm not into playing Make Believe. That's all.

quote:

And I do not see much sense in extending surfaces for pocket .if I really need it I alwais can build something "dirty" .

Because these are the fake surfaces ,something fast like surface ->ruled

I used a surface rough pocket to rough this part. This part is on the FTP called D55.zip. You wouldn't create runoff for something like this? BTW, runoff has already been created in that file. The actual part (2D) is in green.

extendsurfs.jpg

Thad

I can do it ,I think

Just explain what it is runoff .

If I understand you right ,

If you want taper angle ,just build border curves and use create->surface->draft to plane .

Moldplus simply make it faster ,But mastercam also can do it

Thad ,you can do it alone rather quick ,I am sure .

If no go ,I would do it later .

Select as a plane a plane your taper ends like z-10 and see a result .

Just do it !

HTH

Anbu ,I will sent you a letter in a day .

[ 09-06-2004, 05:17 AM: Message edited by: Winnie Teh Pooh ]

This file was cut months ago. No need to do anything to it now. It's just an example.

Runoff is slang for extending surfaces beyond the actual part. That way the surfaces "run off" the part. Maybe it should be 2 words, not one. ???

No taper angle is required. The surfaces should continue to flow as normal. I was just curious how you would use something "dirty" to create run off with a surfaces that has varying Z height. All this is in response to your statement...

quote:

And I do not see much sense in extending surfaces for pocket

Thanks for your input.

Thad

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Don't know if this will help but with the use of surface toolpaths, go to "Gap Settings" Change Motion to "Smooth" on the pulkldown menu, then give the "Tangential Line Length" a distance and it will extend the toolpath tangent to the surface(s) being machine whatever distance you specify.

HTH

Make border geometry ,Xform translate (copy ) it to some distance and make surface ->ruled

Or create ->surface ->sweep

Or create ->surface->draft (to pLane)(select proper cPlane )

Or some other way .

or untrim surfaces ,extend them and trim by contour .

There are other ways too

Show you geometry

Hi

I believe you are attempting to accomplish this. The Yellow surfaces are the extensions you are interested in. We do additional extensions to build strength for the electrode and to ease the manufacturing of it.

electrode%20with%20new%20extensions.jpg

This is the electrode with part.

electrode%20with%20part.jpg

You can accomplish these with Moldplus Electrode Maker.

Regards

Anbu

I do not want to argue with Anbu ,I apreciate him and his program and I like moldplus cheers.gif but i want to say this :

when I make electrodes I don`t need this ,I don`t need nothing except actual burning surfaces ,IOW I can get this without building any additional surface

And I am ready to show examples ,if someone want

I can put it in Lazy tricks

HTH

WTHH

Hi

Our Moldplus product is always improved/updated/developed based on what customers request.

We also know that not all customers world-wide have the same needs nor manufacturing methods.

So, if you have your own solutions that work for you and can satisfy the needs of the other clients while saving all time and money, all the better.

We dont argue, we only look at providing solutions wink.gif

Regards

Anbu