Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

STRANGE CHANGES IN V9

KMI

Can someone from Mastercam please explain to me why a change was made in the ramping to exclude the finish pass. In V8 if you program a ramp move around a circle and go to a certain depth it will ramp down and then complete one extra revolution at the final depth. In V9 they decided that this wasnt a good idea and decided that you had to tell the system to do a final pass. Here's the problem, the tool retracts and steps over to a new start point, thats great unles you have been ramping a slot. The tool just goes to the final depth and leads in. If you have an inch of material in the way then, bang huge crash. What is the benefit of this change and why was it done?

Kodiak Motorsports Inc.

It was probably changed to give the programmer more options when programming. When I helix out a through hole, I don't want to make a finish pass at the bottom. It's a waste of time. Now, I don't have to use one.

quote:

the tool retracts and steps over to a new start point

I'm not familiar with this.

Thad

Hi again,

I had my resellers here a short time ago and they werent sure why it was doing it. The amount of time it takes to complete the half arc is only seconds. It takes more time to go in and adjust the program than it does to finish the pass. We do alot of ramping to generate grooves. I have walls on each side of the tool and this issue is really starting to cause us problems. I will put in anouther call to the reseller to see if they can sort it out. Bye for now.

Kodiak Motorsports Inc.

Hi Peter,

We have been using Mastercam for about 5 years and have never had this issue. We are generating a hub pad for our wheels and I'm not sure why after all this time we would have to start using a different process to do the same job. We have over 3000 versions of our programs and every single one using the same ramping process. If we have to change our procedure I think it would be better for us to stick with the V8 software. Maybe it is just a bug in my copy. I sent an example to the reseller and we'll wait to see what he says. Bye

Kodiak Motorsports Inc.

Hi again,

Here is what I just tried. i created a 12" circle and did a contour ramp on the inside and outside to see what would happen. In both cases if you turn on create finish pass the tool will go to the programmed depth then step up and re lead into the part at a different point. It doesnt just continue around the bottom. I'm not sure how to post a file on the board but I can send it to someone if they would like.

Daryle

Kodiak Motorsports Inc.

The finish pass motion in V9 has not changed. What has changed is the ability to "Make pass at final depth" or not. If you take a file from V8 and regenerate it in V9 you may have problems with the default configuration. The solution would be to change your defaults.df9 file to have "Make pass at final depth" selected.

To change this defaults file go to NC utlils, Def.ops, defaults, choose the defaults.df9 for inch users or the defaultm.df9 for metric. Choose save to open the file, an operations manager will open up with all avaiable operation types. Choose the contour toolpath open up the parameters page second tab, ramp, select depth type and select "Make pass at final depth" now choose OK, OK, OK to save your settings, this should solve the problem. Let us know how you make out.

HTH

Allan

Hi Allan,

Thanks for the help. I went through the changes that you suggested and I get no change. It still ramps down to the programmed depth then steps up and over and does a finish pass. When it goes down to the programmed depth the cutter leaves a ridge on the part, then the finish pass takes off the ridge. Does anyone know why this was changed? I still cant figure out what the benefit of this change would be. The cutter does one quadrant at the depth and leaves the other ones unmilled. Why would a programmer do this. I guess it doesnt really matter but I've either got some sort of bug or I'm looking at one hell of a lot of reprogramming time. Bye for now.

Daryle

Kodiak Motorsports Inc.

Daryle, sorry the problem still persists for you, can you upload the .MC8 file or email one of them perhaps we can create a script or VB app to rectify the issue, I hate to see the update (to V9) result in a back step for you.

I have only had this be an issue with one other customer, the work arround was to make sure the "Make pass at final depth" was selected in ramp contour operations.

Im curious thou. why you would choose to use a finish pass on a facing type op. (unless I understand the)

quote:

i created a 12" circle and did a contour ramp on the inside and outside to see what would happen. In both cases if you turn on create finish pass the tool will go to the programmed depth then step up and re lead into the part at a different point. It doesnt just continue around the bottom.

If i finish an arc from both sides I would expect to end up with a sliver equal to 2 * the radius of the insert or emill.

Allan

Hi Allan,

I've been trying some different things and it seems to work fine if I start the geometry in V9 to start with. If I open a v8 program then regen it the issue comes up. Maybe it has something to do with the way V9 reads the v8 file. My local reseller is also working on it so hopefully we can sort it out. I tried to copy the file to the folder above but it kept giving me an error. Bye for now.

Daryle

Kodiak Motorsports Inc.

KMI, Allen is right on the money with the make finish pass at final depth. This option didn't exist in V8. This is an invaluable tool for people cutting laminated woods, during ramping the cutter will wear over the ramp down distance. For them, making the extra pass around the depth would be a huge waste of time. After you set your defaults.df9 to have that checked on and you bring in a V8 file, do you still need to go into the ramp toolpath and check it on?

HTH