Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

"Spongy" vise

Thad

Thad;

Not where I work now, but at a previous place. When something was found to have a problem like maybe a crack or something that was going to take management weeks to decide what to do there would be some sort of an accident. Maybe the vise would get removed for a differnet sort of setup and wella this forklift comes around the corner and knocks it off the bench and runs over it and it mysteriously gets broken into 10-15 pieces, mysteriously this breaking seems to resemble gas-hatchet cracking????? Anyhow, what I'm trying to say is if it turns out to be cracked or otherwise unrepairable don't limit your creativity to the normal channels. Even the bean counters want parts to move through the shop and apriciate this kind of creativity if it doesn't get out of control.

BTW try the thrust washers, I just did this and mine works smoother especially on opening. I didn't have the spongy thing going on though.

Good luck.

Oh ya what the h$!! is a Gerrardi a, some kind of water sickness that gives you the Hershey squirts????????

I think I am jealous Thad - ONLY a 16-page report! I WISH! It has to be at least a REAM of paper....to be "properly" done.

BTW - I also had one of the "knock-off" Kurt replica vises with this problem. Turned out to be that the seat for the fixed jaw was slighly domed and it would rock back under clamping pressure. I got rid of that hummer and went back to a real Kurt.

Thad

just caught this thread.it is your washers inside that is the problem. very simple fix.just a few

washers is all.plus even though you have a plug

on to keep chips out,they will still pile

up on the inside.there having the same problem

down stairs. i have told them how to fix it,

but you know. they will just use there mallot

to open the vice.hth

cheers.gif marty cheers.gif

quote:

used to roller skate there in my college days

They had wheels then??

Ok, the birdman been atacking Bernie alot lately.

Sorry Bernie.

Just nice to see someone older than me.

Thad,

Is this a Kurt 1 or a Kurt 2?

The kurt 2 vises have been a real problem for us, (can't but a Kurt 1 anymore), because we like to stand them on the side. Now they have slotted the sides so much, there is no surface area left to hold to the table. This has nothing whatsoever to do with your problem. Hope I helped. biggrin.gif

• 2 months later...

Well, the repair has finally been made and all is well in viseland. Here's the guilty culprit. What do you think? This is exactly how the bearing looked when it was taken out.

bearing1.jpg

bearing2.jpg

Thank you for all the input. You guys were right on! wink.gifcheers.gif

Thad