Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

How bout some speed feed help for some 60HRC steel?

MetalFlake

Tialn coating would be best.

What are the capabilty of your machines??

A regular (geo) 4 flute mill will break down too

quick. Look at OSG exocarb-shp mills, reasonably

priced and very capable of doing the job.

A 10mm tool is in the 125-150 range.

I got more pricey suggestion if you need them.

With these tools you'll be in the 800sfm range.

Again it depends on your machine.

PEACE biggrin.gif

I don't know what a 'track' is, but can you grind it?

If you only have to take off .005, I would imagine your average carbide end mill would do the trick. I don't know what 15-5 is either, so maybe I'm talking out my rear end.

Thad teh speak to me Oh toothless one biggrin.gif

I use some of the OSG cutters mostly ball ends but I really like SGS cutters I get from MSC. 1/4 inch(that the biggest I can use in machine) 4 flute with corner radius TiAln, less than 25 bucks a pop. I cut 99% 54-56RC S-7, have cut 60RC D-2 with out to much trouble. When I first got this mill I burned up cutters like they were going out of style because I was going waaaaaaay to slow. Now I run 10k rpm and 250ipm with 1/4 cutter(HPPC on Fanuc control keeps her under control closer to 50 ipm average) cuts sweet. Also use alot of Niagara 2 flt when I can't have the corner radius, TiAln 1/4 in. about $10 each but don't last to long. Just give em to the boys running the bridgeports after I burn the corners off them, they think they're still brand new wink.gif

Forgot to mention that we cut D2 (Rc 58-60) at 100-200 SFPM, .003-.005 chip load, and .02 depth of cut. If that means anything to you...

You certainly won't win any speed contests cutting like that, but the inserts last. General purpose insert, that is.

Thad

quote:

I got more pricey suggestion if you need them.

With these tools you'll be in the 800sfm range.

Again it depends on your machine.

Hi Hardmill, now I understand your avatar biggrin.gif

Willing to share those pricey options ? wink.gif

Thinking about indexable Kennametal cutter with ceramic inserts but could use your advice on this.

I've got some A2 55-60 rc to face. Only about .005" but need a good finish on it.

Kind regards, Mark

cheers.gif

Tnanks for a quick reply Hardmill.

Tried Fette few years back with not much luck above 55 hrc. I'll look at it again though, maybe they have better grade inserts than before.

Is 90 deg insert with about .005-.010" rad. what u have in mind? They are not that expensive.

I was quoted $80.00 per CBN insert for a mits cutter which I thought was way too high headscratch.gif

Kind regards, Mark

cheers.gif

Just found this cutter and inserts(univex) in a tool crib.

These were regular ticn inserts so i guess that's where a difference is.

My, it's been 6 years since I used this cutter. Time goes by a bit too fast around here... smile.gif

Thanks Hardmill, appreciate your input.

Here is to you buddy cheers.gif

Kind regards, Mark

Thanks alot for all the killer input. Looks like I'll be going alot faster than I would have ever guessed...500sfm -wow- and a Tailn coating.

BTW this is a Boeing part 15-5 stainless. Only about 6" x 3" x .75" envelope in size and it's function is to guide a moving assembly along it's .500" wide track which is basically a 's' shape about 5" long.

Thanks again!

Dan