Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Machining surfaces: Loft vs. Coons

rob@fain

I'm using scalop, 1/2 ball with .008 stepover in 6061 alum.. I'm thinking it's a machine problem, I just didn't know if surface type had anything to do with it. The part is a light sconce for an aircraft, a very odd shape and the loft surface seems to look the best.

thanks for the quick reply

rob

I cut some alum surfs recently with same size cutters as you and i never did get the thing to finish like i wanted. I get better finishes out of steel. I think my problem was i was running it way to fast i guess. I only did a couple parts and was not impressed(polised me arse off). I would love some imput also from some of you guys that surface this stuff on a regular basis.

I cut a lot of surfaces on Komo Routers, 1/2 ball, 3/4 ball, 13,000 rpm 250ipm, .010 to .012 step. my surfaces are normally swept, coons or from solids, and usually good results, but this loft surface came out really ugly. Next time I'm using a different Machine, I really believe that is where my problem is, but I thought I would ask the gurus just to make sure.

Thanks again for all the help.

Rob

rob.....Scallop changes direction alot and if there is any slop in your machine there will be steps all over where it changes direction.

My old wore out mill use to leave about a .004 step.

Tighten up the gibbs, put an indicator on the machinetool and set the reversal comp for backlash and try it then.

Loft is one of the better surfaces....as far as smoothness...

+1 to Thad......

Scallop is a real timesaver.

If you don't have good acel_decel on your control, use the highfeed and make sure you set the the field where it goes faster comming up in the z and slower going down in the z.

I set mine to:

z+= default

z-=.3

That ought to keep youur tools in one piece while ramping downward in steel.

quote:

Thad teh "We're not building parts for the space shuttle, ya know

cheers.gif

Project blend is also a very good toolpath...

Murlin teh more than one way to do anything.... cheers.gif

Thanks for the input, The parts I've finished I used scallop on the top and contour on the lower part, it seems as if fewer z moves I make the better. I think I will try the finish blend as Murlin and Cadlist suggested.

Thanks again for all the input

Rob