Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Z-Carbs

Chad M

I guess that it depends on application, material being machined, tolerances involved, etc. Thermal shock caused by coolant can definitely shorten tool life by cracking the tool. Suppliers, in general, typically don't know sh!t; I'd call SGS tech support direct, tell them what your application is, and run what they tell you

C

The Z Carbs use a aluminum nitride coating. The coating is suppose to create a layer of super hard aluminum oxide which supposedly has a very low friction coefficient but it wont do this until higher temps are reached.

You won't ever get there using flood coolant. I use these end mills and our regional SGS guy is adamant about running them dry. He knows his stuff and spends most of his time testing the tools he sells. I don't know about running them on nickel alloys like Inconel (usually run with coolant) as I only use them on harder steels and stainless.

My 2 cents.

-Chuck

I cut lots of S-7 between 50 and 56 RC and use air blast only. These are my most favorite end mills. Rough with them, finish with them, except for 3d contouring, not so good for a nice finish. And very reasonably priced I might add biggrin.gif