Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Help purchasing MP Post Processor Guide CD

MarcJ

Can anyone help me purchase a copy of the MP Post Processor Guide CD?

I've noted how many of you praise you local reseller for his support and assistance. Unfortunately mine doesn't fall into that category.

We are evaluating several CAM packages, trying to decide which is the best "fit" for our shop. One of the recurring weaknesses we note with MasterCAM is the Post Processor.

We're trying to understand how effective we can be in customizing Posts for our mix of machines. The Guide would help in that evaluation. However my reseller won't provide it unless I purchase the latest MasterCAM package. Kind of putting the cart before the horse.

Need help in purchasing the CD so we can make an informed decision.

Marc

WEAKNESS!!! On the contrary my friend the post is to me one of the strengths of Mastercam. There is literally nothing you cannot do with a mastecam post given the time and knowledge to do it. As for the cd I do not believe non-mastercam customers can get it. Of all the cam packages we investigated and researched before choosing Mastercam, it is the easiest post to learn and modify. With help from your reseller and this forum I am sure it will be a snap. Make sure your reseller agrees up front in the purchase what posts you expect him to provide with the purchase and what you expect him to do as far as custom stuff and get it all in writing. Then if he welches, go straight to CNC Software for help as they to do custom post writing I believe.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

There are also other options besides your local reseller. There are several Forum Members that are quite adept at Post Processor Modifications. You could throw them out there for a quote and see what happens.

As for the Post Processor CD, you'll need to see your reseller for those. biggrin.gif

BTW, which Version of MC are you runing? Hopefully AT LEAST V8. cheers.gif

quote:

We are evaluating several CAM packages, trying to decide which is the best "fit" for our shop. One of the recurring weaknesses we note with MasterCAM is the Post Processor.

Hum the commets seem strange since I am from Florida Jacksonville to spefic and my dealer bent over backwards to help me. So might try again.

HTH

One thing I have to ask is... Are the changes you require needed to make the posted code run you machine? Or do you want it changed to "Look" a certian way? Many times people want a certian "Look" that has nothing to do with the operation of the NC code. If that's the case, great, we'll make those changes for a fee. Because you asking your dealer to fix something that already works.

Most of the time if you ask someone to pay for those changes, they suddenly decied they can live with it the way it is.

The other situiation is that people will go buy a $300,000 5x machine and expect their dealer to writa a custom 5 axis post for free. You dont make parts for free. He cant efford to spend 30hrs writting a post for free.

What Version are you running? Are you on maintenance? If your running V7 it means you have not purchased anything from your dealer in 6 years. I'm sure he'll answer your questions (if he can remember back that far biggrin.gif ). But just like you, he's a guy trying to make a living.

There is almost nothing you cant do with the Mastercam post. No There Cam System Has The Level Of Control Available In the Mastercam Post Language.

I also know the dealer in Fla. He's one of the best. I'm sure he can do what you want, but I get the feeling your leaving something out when describing your situiation.

Mike Mattera

Thanks for all the feedback. Again I find this forum awesome to bounce ideas to.

To some of the useful comments made: We've used MasterCAM since the start of the 1990's and have kept pace with the improvements. However as time went on, we found as the machine tools changed and the CAM packages changed, some combinations made more powerful "fits" than just MasterCAM.

However as investments in new equipment increased we also found our customers using various CAD packages beyond standard AutoCAD, like Solid Works, Catia, Solid Edge, ProE etc. and of course they wanted their vendors to support the various formats (and we're talking beyond just pulling the file into the CAM package).

Soon we realized we could spend 10's of thousands of dollars on software just to meet every customer's expectations, and we got pretty stingy how we alocated our software dollars. Concurrently most of the software companies thought spending $5 grand (or more) for their package should be a no brainer. Hello ...

For you guys in captive, one-product houses, this may not be an issue. For us contract guys, it's a different story. 5 grand for an upgrade package might be material for 50 grand worth of work!! Decisions, decisions.

Since we're in a hi-tec corridor, we developed relationships with a number of the tec shcools around us, and started evaluating educational packages of a lot of the software before we purchased the full blown addition. This stemmed a lot of the blood flow of precious cash, while we evaluated in "real time" what was easy to use, and what didn't fit.

Now let me rephrase my comment that Tommy Dorgan took exception to above. It's true that the MasterCAM Post Processor can be fine tuned to be almost invincable "if" you have the time, "if" you have the knowledge, "if" you have the tools and/or "if" you want to spend the bucks with outside sources to tweak it.

All we're trying to evaluate is whether or not we'll be able to expend that effort and get reasonable, timely results. From a lot I've read here, going back many messages on this forum, there are quite a number of folks who seem challenged by the Post Processor, and very few seem to have identified the tools to deal with it. To me that would seem to make it a weakness (at the same time it's potential is to be a strength). From what I've seen of MasterCAM (and I'm not the programmer) the efforts expended in learning all about the Post are as valuable, if not more valuable than running the CAM. "If" you have the tools!

The tools which have been identified, like the MP Post Process CD seem awful difficult to get your hands on "for some of us".

More than one comment has been posted here that some of the resellers are more interested in charging for Post Processor prep, tweak and programming support than selling the software. I don't expect the reseller to provide me a new Post everytime I buy a new machine, but never the less, machines are changed out, come and go, etc. and without a new Post each time you've got nothing. Some of these guys think they're Philadelphia Attorneys with the rates they want to charge.

I think this Forum's a great tool for ideas, but I hesitate to use it for free labor to solve my programming needs. That's why I try to ask questions of where I can go to get what I need to do it myself. I'm going to try Kevin's reseller for the CD and we'll see what happens.

Thanks again for the inputs. Keep em coming.

Marc

Well why did you say this:

quote:

I've noted how many of you praise you local reseller for his support and assistance. Unfortunately mine doesn't fall into that category.

but then you make a comment that you have not even talked to your dealer but yet you slam your dealer for not reading your mind? Sorry but I am puzzled by your comments.

quote:

I'm going to try Kevin's reseller for the CD and we'll see what happens.

When I hear of a problem with a vendor or a customer I call them myself so I get all of my information first hand.

I would strongly urge other forum users to limit the amount of support given to a person with V5.5 who is looking for documentation on the functions of V9.

It seems highly suspicious. Sounds like a job for the Business Software Alliance http://www.bsa.org/

In an un-related story:

==============================

Anyone hear about the guy who got 9 months in jail for bootlegging Autocad?

http://www.marinij.com/Stories/0,1413,234~...2787601,00.html

rolleyes.gif

Mike Mattera

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

As usual, the other side of the story surfaces. V5.5? eek.gifeek.gifeek.gifeek.gifeek.gifeek.gif

If you would have updated in a reasonable timeframe (meaning like 6 YEARS AGO, you would have had to pay less than a weeks wages to get the most current version. Now you're hosed eh! The explanation for not updating is weak at best. Could it be that somebody ratted you out for using Bootleg Mastercam and now you're sweating hoping to buy something bofore the cops break down your door?

Glad yo chimed in Jim.

What does a Version 5 user need with a V9 Post CD??? headscratch.gif

quote:

All we're trying to evaluate is whether or not we'll be able to expend that effort and get reasonable, timely results. From a lot I've read here, going back many messages on this forum, there are quite a number of folks who seem challenged by the Post Processor, and very few seem to have identified the tools to deal with it. To me that would seem to make it a weakness (at the same time it's potential is to be a strength). From what I've seen of MasterCAM (and I'm not the programmer) the efforts expended in learning all about the Post are as valuable, if not more valuable than running the CAM. "If" you have the tools!

The tools which have been identified, like the MP Post Process CD seem awful difficult to get your hands on "for some of us".

I thought that explained it all.

I don't think the post processors are a big enough pain to turn anyone off actually buying or upgrading. Go ahead and get current, you won't regret it in the long run.

Bruce

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Just having some fun at someone elses expense. biggrin.gif

You know drago, Marc swung the door wide open for this.

Oh no, here comes the BSA... eek.gif

j/k

Now he's going to forever be on the lookout. He, he, he.....