Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Can anyone help convert .3ds to .mc9

You can go to Rhino's website and download a 30 day trial version. I did something simlar to what you are doing a while back. I ended up converting the 3ds file in rhino, and if I recall correctly it was a very rough approximation of what the nice picture looked like. I then creating a surface on top of that using Rhino's "drape" feature. THEN bringing it into mcam as an IGES...i think.

The point is I was very helpful to have Rhino and be able to use it's great surface tools to tweek the 3ds.

hth

It was a few years ago, but that was my general system.

cmr,

Thanks for the Rhino tip!!! I downloaded the softwear and opend the 3ds file, but it didnt come through very well. I went ahead and tryed the drape and saved the surface as an iges. It''s kind of hard to see exactly what it is on the rhino, I don't have any Idea how to use it, just pushed buttons and clicked until somthing happend. I will take that to a friend w/ MC Iges converter on monday and see what it looks like in MC. headscratch.gifheadscratch.gif

Zippy

quote:

Im clueless and dont have these MC converters anyways

Aaron,

I assume you have access to MC since you're here at this forum. MC comes with STL and IGES translators. Main menu-File-Converters should get you started. wink.gif

Thad

Thad,

I guess I'm dumber than I thought!!! banghead.gifbanghead.gifbanghead.gif

I assumed that since we where going to have to pay extra for the STEP converter that we would have to pay for all of them. And all this time I have ben going to the shop down the street to convert the step files. We dont get files from customers very often so I havent ben able to convence the big man to spend the cash. In future I will see if I can get them to send me an iges.

P.S. does Iges support solids?

Zippy

Iges conversion will bring in surfaces. parasolid and solidworkds of whatever form (.sldprt,.x_t,.x_B) are solids. If your doing all sorts of conversions from .3ds and iges, you'd better be happy working with surfaces.

oh, sorry, you could go to a sheet solid AFTER an IGES with surfaces come in.

Is it a 3ds file?

In AutoCAD use the command 3DSIN this will import the file into AutoCAD. And since 3D Studio Max is an Autodesk product it should go better good. Then from AutoCAD is the command IGESOUT or STEPOUT.

Now if you don't have AutoCAD this could be a problem.

Can you email, upload or link the file(s) you are having problems with?

cheers.gif

I think I am little late on this, but may help.

My idea was similar to brent's. 3Ds format comes better in mechanical desktop. from there you can export iges or stl. STL is more recomended as both are mesh bodies.

HTH

-------------------------------------------------

I put the file in the solids folder under "woman.3ds"

--------------

I'll take a look at it tonight when I get home. If it comes in clean I'll bring it to work and convert it for you. You can e-mail it to me at work and I'll play with it a lunch time.

Brent,

Thanks a ton.

Came through good, but it's still missing some paches. mad.gifmad.gif This is turning out to be a real pain in the A-HO... there is like a million surfaces, I dont even have enough memory to shade the damb thing. Gonna keep plug'n away at it and see if I can make somthing workable out of it.

Zippy

Murlin,

Thanks for another hot tip. smile.gif Problem is I dont have Pro-e and it turns out we have Acad light, were a low bugget joint, so not much I can do.

I did manage to carv her out from the hooters down and she came out fairly nice, a bit facteted though. I would like to smooth it out. I thought about trying to project a grid of points on the surfaces and create a point cloud surface. Not sure this would work but i figured it was worth a shot.

Zippy