Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Depth of cut rule of thumb

nickelback

It depends on what type of cut ie; slot or profile, and the cutter/machine como plays an important role in chosing depth of cut and raidial cut. My rule of thumb for A2 D2 and whaten is 50%-75% of dia when sloting and 150% and up when profiling. It depends on what you can get away with. I fing it is always better to go deeper when you can so you wear out the whole end mill and not just the end.

Just my .02

Aaron

Just remember Carbon it is brittle as hell. Can rough things deep as the endmill goes just allow for chipping and flaking. I would look to highspeed machining techiqunes for maching this material small depths of cuts very high rpms and very high feedrates will do circles around deep cuts and low rpms everyday of the week on the right machine.

HTH

On the graphite if you are using a few standard tools, you may want to also consider diamond coated endmills. A bit pricy but they out last uncoated carbide by a mile. Then as Ron says you can fly with normal depths and high speeds with little concern for tool wear.

I have a couple different sizes that I try to use when I can for electrode work.

+1 to Ron and Cam.

http://www.jabro-tools.com/images/TORNADO_2005.pdf

That link is what I use when cutting graphite. The numbers given are good for coated carbide end mills, and are a conservative starting point for diamond tools.

Go down to page 19 and there is a chart called "Depth - Width of Cut". The numbers here are given as a percent of tool diameter. I didn't see where it explained this, but "ae" = radial width of cut and "ap" = depth of cut.

HTH

Scott cheers.gifcheers.gif