Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

PROJECT LETTERS ON CONVEX FACE

HEAVY METAL

I would think projecting the letters on the surface would be best if you will be machining from the top.

From MC help:

You can project an NCI file (created prior to entering the Project toolpath function) onto any sphere whose radius does not exceed certain limits.

The arc you select to define the sphere’s cross-section determines the sphere’s center (arc center), Z coordinate of the sphere center (Z coordinate of the arc center), sphere radius (arc radius), and the concave or convex shape of the projection surface. To define a concave sphere, select an arc whose midpoint lies below its center. To define a convex sphere, select an arc whose midpoint lies above its center.

1. Choose Main Menu, Toolpaths, Next menu, Project, Sphere.

2. Select an arc that defines a cross-section of the sphere. If the midpoint and center of the selected arc are at equal heights, the system prompts you to choose either the upper (Z+) or lower (Z-) half.

3. Enter the Project parameters in the Project Parameters dialog box.

4. Choose OK. The toolpath is added to the Operations Manager.

Note: You can also project a toolpath on a sphere by choosing Toolpaths, Project, Sphere from the right-click menu of the Operations Manager.

For simple letters draw them above surface, then >create >curve >project . You can select either normal to view or normal to surface.

Run a 3d contour with comp off, driving the centerline of projected letters.

For logo's and such create a engraving toolpath of logo/letters above part, then project that toolpath onto the desired surface. It's normal to view though.

If your running surface/finish project toolpath, make sure you've got the add depths box checked on the last page.

quote:

So when creating your lettering or numbers to project, do you just enter a positive "Z" value to get it above the curved geometry first?

You don't *have to*, but it's easier to see that way. smile.gif You can project curves upward.

Welcome to the forum! cheers.gif

Thad

Thanks, BTW this has GOT to be the freindliest forum I've ever visited. Not only do I get my questions answered quickly, but in a very friendly, non-condescending manner! People like yourself make it much easier to ask questions, and believe me, I've got a ton of them!

I am confused on the question. The question is how to create the geometry? or how to machine it?

I think it is how to machine it.

But after you project the geometry you want on the surface.

Select the geomtry that is on the convex with contour.

The use 3d contour. Incremental z depth of 0 or -.005 depending how deep you want to go into your surface. And make sure the comps are off and off.

Than the path will follow the new geometry you created...

Jim

thanks everybody,simple after the good explanations and examples. something i dont do everyday. i think i had done it before a long time ago but forgot what the hell i did and could'nt find the program that i used. going to make sure i write this down for future reference.

thanks heavy