Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Accurate Measuring

Decomaster

We are turnig some parts that we have to hold .0003" on the dia. We have already made and shipped 60 pcs just using digital mics, but now we have to run upwards of up to 1000 pcs. My question is, is there a quick and accurate way of checking this OD for an operator? The OD is just under .75". I have heard of using an air mic, but I don't recall ever having seen one of these before. Any info would be great. Thanks

quote:

Use an indicating mic, you can set limits on the indicator.

Some peeps call them super mics.

+10000

I love these mics, accurate as the day is long. As long as the anvil face fit on your surface these work the balls

I agree the indicating mic would be a good bet to measure this.

I like the Etalon but there are a few makes to choose from. They are quite pricey so be sure to factor that into the quote for the .0003 toleranced parts.

mic_dial_china.gif

Phil

Depending on how long the diameter is, a snap gage is the best for this application, BUT, you need a setting master [gage blocks, plug, etc] to zero the snap gage on. The type of tolerance you stated is basically all we do here and snap gages are superior to mics, go/nogo, CMM, whatever else for ease of use, durability, accuracy, and portability. Air ring gages are available but you would choke on the cost and they don't work particularly well for in-machine measuring.

Shoot me an email, if you wish, and we can talk about it

C

Deco,

We use go/nogo and electronic gauging in one of our cells. If you are checking in the machine then use go/nogo. You could use the electronic or air gauge for off machine inspection and set it up on a table next to the machine for a 100% check as the parts come out.

HTH

Bruce