Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Practical self-explanatory tutorial

Mr. Deepak-R

01-July-2005, INDIA,

Hi all,

(1) A lot of help-theory (and context-sensitive help) has already been included within Mastecam software, as a part of the software. The same has been described within the Manual too.

(2) Majority of the published books on Mastercam also repeat much of the same old theory.

(3) But, practically, using Mastercam to machine a workpiece in the CNC machine, is something different and new and untold. An expert programer working on Mastercam for 10 years would use the software quite differently. Or, he may combine little bits of tips/tricks from all over the MastercamManual, and implement it.

(4) Sitting beside such an expert programmer, and acquiring skills as to how he uses the software commands/features/options, coupled with our own knowldege of machining, would be the best way to learn Mastercam programming.

(5) Alternatively, such a programmer can as well create his own tutorial-notes, by using all his skills and methodology of explanation. Rather than writing several pages of notes (which is already available in the Manual), he can start off with simple example of 2D machining, how to create lines, how to enter numerical values onto the fields, etc.

(6) Abundantly, he can use Shift+Printscreen keys, and save the contents of the screen onto a slide of MS-PowerPoint file *.ppt .

(7) Wherever necessary, he can include some brief phrases/sentences onto the slides of the same *.ppt file.

(8) How he uses the screen menu/options/commands situation, what numerical values he enters, which point he considers to be Z=0, how he uses layers options, levels option, colours options, filters by points, colours, layers, etc, what is the step-by-step procedure he follows in order to arrive at the final simulation, what numerical values he enters fortool settings, job parameters, why he chose only those options/numericals, if similation fails how does he analyse/troubleshoot, how does he interpret the NC files, how does he import solid model data into *.mcam files and works upon them, .................

(9) If any one of you can make me to understand Mastercam, by creating such *.ppt files (one file for each example), I shall be sincerely thankful to you. Kindly email your *.ppt files to me. While using Mastercam, I shall simultaneously keep your *.ppt files opened, and learn step-by-step.

(10) [email protected] , [email protected]

You want us to do all the work of creating lessons for each type of machining and email it to you????

Think again.

We will gladly help you out with problems if you just ask one or two at a time.

But I doubt anyone will do all the work for you.

cuckoo.gifcuckoo.gifcuckoo.gif

BernieT,

quote:

What you are asking for could take hundreds of hours

100% agree to that statement.

Iskander,

your avatar is really nice. i would like to try this on MC art. where can i get the pix? (btw, i can't access the ftp).

Mr. Deepak-R,

I was just like u trying to look for shortcut for everything.... welcome to the wonderful world of CAD/CAM where everything needs to be learned the hard way. Mastercam has one of the best learning tool with access to worldwide experts and 24/7 availability.... this forum. your point no.3 is so very true but trying, investigating, inquiring is the best way to learn what you speak of. if employers are willing to invest, they should train you or hire an expert. Mastercam certified training with is available (check the official site for more info).

Mr. Deepak-R,

If you have not got copies of the Mastercam Handbooks, Volume 1 and 2, I would suggest that they are a very practical introduction to using Mastercam in the real world. These Handbooks are not to be confused with the smaller "Tutorial" books that come with the Mastercam software.

You should be able to purchase these books through you Mastercam dealer.

He wants to skip all the head banging caused by the first year of use. Problem is you can not skip that. You need that base. I have known several “expert” Mastercam users and most of them do complex tasks completely different. I have seen it where one very good programmer opened up a model from different programmer and said flat out it was useless and he need to start over. A few weeks later the reverse happened. Yet both guys make good parts everyday.

What I am trying to say is if a high end user tries to show you “his way” and you miss one thing or misinterpreted a way of thinking and this guy does not sit next to you, you’re screwed. Go get the training at Mastercam reseller. They will give you the base you have to have, from there make it your own. You will find some things that are talked about on these forums are great time savers and others are not for you.

DC hit the nail on the head. I've had so many people ask "how did you do that" when I explain it I get a confused.gif .

as our "ex" quoteing guy always said

" geeeez all you have to do is draw a couple lines and some points right?" nothing to it

He doesn't want to "Learn" he want to "Know" without the work of thinking. Even if I told you what to do, I doesn't mean you'll understand it. You have to come to your own revalation of discovery by doing the work.

"100's of hours"

More like 100's and 100's and 100's of hours.

I know. I've done it. And I assure you I dont send this type of training to strangers for free.

Mike Mattera

I am planning to create my web site with learning material .

Basic machining ,some Mastercam .

I am writing it now ,at process of shaping and

creating conception.

But what you ask for , Mr Deepak ,is ,as the Russian expression sais ,to chew the food instead of you and put it in your mouse .

Any ideas of payment ?

have you any idea ,how much time it takes me :

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(5) Alternatively, such a programmer can as well create his own tutorial-notes, by using all his skills and methodology of explanation. Rather than writing several pages of notes (which is already available in the Manual), he can start off with simple example of 2D machining, how to create lines, how to enter numerical values onto the fields, etc.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Would you buy my learning material for a humble sum of 100USD $ ?

If so ,come to the mike Mattera site and buy his learning cd-roms .

Or some others .

As I heard ,they really "'chewing".

I all my life learned myself and respect hard learning people ,learning themselves first of all and then asking real questions.

Create lines ?????

Come on ,that`s too much for me ,I say .

As for my tricks ,they are free ,they show

Mastercam might .

I currently work on Cimatron ,I went to basic course (3 days -design ) ,learned NC alone .

Noone chewed me nothing ,and would not do it in

real production shop .

I can say more -there are some places that they will not help you at all .

If you know how to learn ,not afraid of hardships,

have a clear conception what you want to achieve in life you need to change your attitude.

Read all you can grab ,try all you can ,look on what others do ,leaarn from others mistakes and

do not be afraid to have hands dirty and long sleepless nights .

And you will succeed .

Or some other people will .

PS I learned Mastercam alone ,I made my first job on second day and say that it is most friendly ,easy learning program.

Not Cimatron ,Unigraphics ,Catiaa or Pro-E .

juST SHOW US OTHER ATTITUDE AND EVERY ONE HERE WILL BE HAPPY TO HELP YOU.

BR

quote:

If any one of you can make me to understand Mastercam

You gotta want it more than that. It's gonna take alot of your free time after work playing with the software to get where you wanna go.

If you haven't been 'grammin very long plan on spending some of your time learning the good old fashined way. Trial and Error. Here it's called "Sweat Equity" iow you gotta give to get.

Like Jeff said, your asking for way too much.

Here is a start to my tutorial. It's just a work in proccess so use at your own risk.

1st - arrive at work promptly (maybe even early for good measure)

2nd - get cup of coffee for boss and myself(sucking up generally works better that being really good)

3rd - over coffee tell boss how great I am.

4rth - get boss more coffee

5th - get union steward coffee

6th - get another cup of coffee

7th - go to desk set down coffee

8th - take union break

9th - bake to desk

10th - get cup of hot coffee

11th - turn on puter

12th - click on mastercam icon

13th - get more coffee

14th - bang head, "now how do I create a line agian"

15th - lunch time

16th - back to work

17th - meeting, plant closing no one has thought out how to do things and improve on their own.

18th - get with union steward for benefits

19th - go to bar with rest of guys, mumble how we should have been force 100% training, not just given the opertunity to learn on our own.

20th - go home to wife drunk and get --- kicked for being a stupid, worthless, and lazy bum.

I'll try to finish the next chapter when I have a new job.

HTH

P.S. If you put forth the effort to learn, you have found the best place to get help. Most guys here will bend over backwards to help you solve issues that you have put forth effort on. You just need to earn respect and you will receive respect. No one ever want to hand out their hard work for nothing to someone who hasn't worked hard as well.

Sheesh, you don't want to much, do you?

It's called learning ,reading and lots and lots and lots of trial and error and when frustration sets in and you just can't figure it out, you come in here and ask. There are plenty of people here who are more than willing to help solve your problems and expose you to new methods of doing the same things.

But there is not, I don't believe, anyone here who will even attempt to impart upon you 10, 15 or 20+ yrs of experience and knowledge simply because you do not want to take the time to learn some of the basic stuff on your own.

Go take a class and spend some time actually cutting some metal and then maybe you'll begin to understand why there are some many people on this forum who are taken aback by such a bold request.

Simply said, there is no replacment for experience.

Go get some.

and good luck in your task, with a gimme attitude like yours I'm sure you'll get quite far.

Seems to be a common misconception that this forum is for free handouts, instead of help with problems. It takes alot to walk into a place for the first time and ask for a handout. Especially one that require so much valuable time. If you need help running MC start posting specific questions. Everyone here will be happy to help. Just do not say "give me" and all will go well.