Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

1 question, yes or no?

TimHollis

I am writing to express my total disappointment with the up-date class.

I have 4 people I had intentions of sending, and I am point man for couple of other registered local area users.

But after discovering that it will cost $395. per person, I don't know.

That is the discounted price.

As a member of emastercam.com, I read with anticipation the coming release of Mastercam X, along with all of the open invitations for the Roll-Out Seminars, being offered, for free in various parts of the country..

Of course since I am located on XXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXX and my only, reseller is XXXXXXXXX, I am obligated to deal directly with them.

So if I want to send the guys to find out the latest and greatest about Mastercam's biggest release in years, I should just pony up another $1500. for that privilege.

This after putting together one of the most intense company sponsored in-house training programs around, Design, Solids, Mill & Lathe, in this area.

Plus keeping the Maintenance contract current.

Would you push the company to pony up the $1500, to send the guys to an up-date class??????

Thanks

Tim H. cheers.gif

I did. Its next week; we'll see if I feel positive about it afterward. Seems like after all of the issues with the rollout that maybe CNC Software should reimburse the resellers for 1 'seminar' per seat if the Maintenance customers send people to the classes but I know that is probably not something that they're interested in.

C

BTW the 'free' seminar you read about in my area was for customers with Maintenance [which we have] AND a TSA [which we don't] so we're paying

I did e-mail, Mastercam, and recived this response.

quote:

Hi Tim-

Until now, I was not aware the XXXXXX was charging for the Mastercam X

update classes. Unfortunately, CNC corporate cannot tell XXXX what

that can and cannot charge for their services.

My question to you would be is this training class? Do you know how

long the class is? Many dealers are doing free seminars. These are not

training, but rather a 3-4 hour overview of what's new in X in more of a

demo environment.

If a dealer is offering a 1 or 2 day training course, I could understand

why they would charge for it.

It may be worth it to call XXXXX to express your concerns and see if

they plan on doing anything for free, and to see what your options are.

Please let me know if I can do anything else for you.

Thanks-

XXXXX

XXXX XXXX

CNC Software, Inc.

Corporate Sales

860-875-XXXX

I respect that.

And I followed the advice, to call the reseller, who informed me that the free seminars WERE held Aug 4th, for potential customers, more of a dog & pony show for new sales. Outlining the new benefits of MC X over the last version.

Since we are current because of the maintenance agreement, we were not invited.

I asked about doing a user group over-view, that I would be happy to put 10 sim #’s down for a group meeting.

I was reminded that I have already received a discounted seminar price of $395. per person, for a Total of $1580.

Thanks

Tim H. cheers.gif

[ 08-08-2005, 03:34 PM: Message edited by: TimHollis ]

I did sign-up for the S4A introduction, I haven't heard anything yet, so I probably should call tomorrow and see what the deal is.

I took the v9.1 basic class because when I jumped into the position I am currently in since I had not touched mastercam since version 5 or 6.

It was waaay back

I just wanted to get a look at what may have changed.

I took the intermediate class when I started getting deeper into 4 axis stuff and that was mostly to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

Peter showed me some nice shortcuts but other than that I had what I needed.

Nothing else besides that and a lot of hours clicking away.

cheers.gif

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I've taken 2 semesters @ Community College (back in the 3.x days) and a 5-Axis Class.

Tim, if you're opposed to spending the $1400-ish, I'd suggest you send your 2 brightest, with a Video Camera and/or a Tape Recorder.

JM2C

John

Which seminar did you sign up for? If it is the MA version on Tuesday I'll see you there

I started using AutoCAD when I was fifteen, so I had a big head start on most people when it came to the CAD angle and I played with Mastercam for about a year [doing some programming and basically screwing around] before I took some classes at S4A; amazing how much stuff I was doing the hard way before I learned the 'right' way...

C

We do various seminars year round. This year we have held off waitin for X. Our seminars are not menat to replace training classes, but to show what tools are available. Some people follow up the seminar by taking a class and others go back and experiment. What's neat is to see the synergy created by getting the customers together. I learn alot from the customers also. (It was Travis that showed me trim-divide back in v8)

BINGO!!!!

quote:

Our seminars are not meant to replace training classes, but to show what tools are available.

What's neat is to see the synergy created by getting the customers together. I learn allot from the customers also. (It was Travis that showed me trim-divide back in v8)

I learned MC3 the hard way, making variations of the part from the print.

I was hoping that my reseller was doing an area intro to the new features we have been told are coming in the latest version.

Do I need a Mill 1 2 day seminar, on how to use MCX to perform a Surface Contour- No.

So I will not push the class issue, my guys already know the nuts and bolts of getting it done.

Instead I will watch the forums, print anything that should go in a notebook, as cool new things to know, and when I have enough info to make it worthwhile, I hand out copies.

I'll take the dinero and let the guys spend 2 hours @ day, just sitting and playing with it, before letting it loose in the shop.

Thanks

Tim H.

quote:

Depends on how software-inclined you are

this is key, I just spent (one day) learning how to program a Ziess CMM. Not that preexposure didn't help, but by the end of the day I had a basic program. banghead.gifcurse.gif

I'm taking my chances on the free seminar my Texas reseller is putting on. Boss pay for upgrade training?? biggrin.gif

quote:

I'll take the dinero and let the guys spend 2 hours @ day, just sitting and playing with it, before letting it loose in the shop.

cheers.gifcheers.gif