Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Graphics Card

ToolMan184

Bullines,

What would ya recommend for a grapics card for MC now? I still have an ATI card and need to change. WOuld like a good card just dont wanna take out a loan to buy one biggrin.gif . I looked at a 6800 but got sticker shock for $500-$600.

I use Mill, Wire and we are goin to add Lathe. I have a 3G proccessor with 1G of Ram.

Thanks for you help!! cheers.gif

ChuckB The test is workin eek.gif

quote:

I would buy a card similar to this if I hadn't stepped up to a quadro fx 1400.

The 6200? eek.gif No...no...avoid. The GeForce 6200 can never compare to the QuadroFX 1400. The QuadroFX is aimed at people using their computers for heavy-duty applications like CAD/CAM and DCC. The GeForce 6200 is the bottom of the GeForce6 line which is aimed at people who want to play Mahjong and email pictures to grandma; it's not even a good gaming card, let alone suited for CAD/CAM.

If you absolutely insist on going the GeForce route and are looking at the GeForce6 line, consider the 6600 and 6800 cards and forget about the 6200.

oops my bad, we installed one at another shop it seemed to work way better than the ti 440 it replaced. I know it is a bottom card, but without wanting to spend a couple hundred bucks a solid card after being in the CADCAM arena for several years is at least 400.00 that is minimal, and if your going to spend 4 why not 5 I got my quadro from dell in my workstation for 550.00 I never thought I would spend that on a card in my life, I now know the differance but I use several cam pkgs and solidworks. Know I kick myself for not going with the 3400.

If it were up to me, this is how I recommend video cards for CAD/CAM/DCC.

If you're not running very large files with lots of surfaces or you don't have Solids, the QuadroFX 500 (AGP)/QuadroFX 540 (PCIx) would be a good baseline card to look at. If you are running large files with lots of (or big) surfaces or you have Solids, the QuadroFX 1300 (AGP) / QuadroFX 1400 (PCIx) would be a good baseline card to consider. And of course, the better the QuadroFX model, the better the performance under heavier loads.

How would this one be? Here are the specs:

GIGABYTE GV-NX68256D Geforce 6800 256MB DDR PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail

Core clock: 325MHz

D-SUB: 1

DirectX: DirectX 9

DVI: 1

Memory Clock: 700MHz

Memory Interface: 256-bit

OpenGL: OpenGL 2.0

PixelPipelines: 12

TV-Out: HDTV Out

VIVO: No

Model #: GV-NX68256D

Item #: N82E16814125193

Cost $229.00

Would this be acceptable for CAD/CAM applications?

quote:

Would this be acceptable for CAD/CAM applications?

That is a great gaming card but it isn't a CAD/CAM card. If your system is stable, it will probably serve your Mastercam needs well. If you want to consider the QuadroFX pricing, here's the QuadroFX 540 (I chose the PCIx one because you chose the PCIx version of the GeForce 6800, so I'm using your mobo has PCIx and not AGP).

Bullines,

I just learned I dont believe I have no AGP or PCIx slot. flame.gif So I guess that just kicked me arse. Guess my only option now is gonna be GeForce FX 5500 or a new puter. I would have thought my DELL would have a slot for at least one of these. Doin some checkin to make sure I dont have.

Wouldnt you say the FX is my only option short of a new puter? I would assume the FX 5500 would beat what I have now. Most of what I do is 2d anyways. When I get into solids I know I will have to update puter.

quote:

I just learned I dont believe I have no AGP or PCIx slot.

You mentioned that you have a Dell computer. Which Dell model and number?

If you don't have either an AGP or a PCIx slot, then you won't be upgrading your video card to anything. Typically low-end models like the bottom of the Dimension line or the Optiplex line (which is aimed at administrative use in offices) do not include either an APG or PCIx slot on their mobos to allow for a video card upgrade, and force you to use the weak onboard video for the life of the computer.

Guess this is my best option I have found....Geez I hate this.

JATON 3DForce Video-248PCI-DVI Geforce FX5700LE 128MB DDR PCI Low Profile Video Card - Retail

Core clock: 250MHz

D-SUB: 1

DirectX: DirectX 9

DVI: 1

Memory Clock: 400MHz

Memory Interface: 64-bit

OpenGL: OpenGL 1.5

TV Tuner: No

TV-Out: S-Video Out

VIVO: No

Model #: Video-248PCI-DVI

Item #: N82E16814139166

Suppose I will just suck it up until I get me a new puter.

Thanks Bullines for all your help. I very much appreciate it.

Yup. The Dimension 3000 is one of those that doesn't have an AGP or PCIx slot. Your only choice are PCI cards and the choice is slim as PCI cards haven't been the norm for six or seven years now.

You're right. Look for a new computer...one with a PCIx slot wink.gif Take a look at Dell's Precision workstations. The 380 would do everything you'd need and you have the choice among many QuadroFX cards; any of which would be great. They also offer Quadro NVS cards, but avoid those as they aren't CAD/CAM cards.

quote:

Maybe you can get a nice ASUS motherboard and a new video card to fix up your current box instead of starting all over ?

I would think that would save a pile of dough...

Sometimes tricky with OEM chassis as they typically don't conform to ATX standards. In that situation, he'd need to buy a new case. And depending on the motherboard he gets versus what he already has, he may need new RAM as well. Probably better off with an entirely new box, in that instance.