Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Can't make a 2D arc

jctjct

I have been struggling with this for hours now. It seems that if two lines aren't in the same plane I can't make a flat arc tangent to them. Go into a front plane, make a line at an angle, back to top plane, create a line from the endpoint of the first line, now create circle edge points , toggle on tangent , input a radius, pick the two lines. Regardless of 2D/3D mode the arc isn't flat. How can I make it come out flat? In V9 this worked just fine.

quote:

Fillet set to circle gives the same result that I'm not looking for.

WTF I am sorry but if gives you what you want just not the way you want it. That is like saying I can make this part in 30 mintues but I want to make it they I did for years which took 2 days. Sorry I like X yes it has bugs but all the bitching by people ot have soemthing and they got it. I do not use X right now for production. I am using X on the side and I have been a Beta Tester just my choice G-code only uses X now and we do some pretty trick stuff here. I am also the Shop Foreman now so my time programming has been cut by at least 50-60% so I do thing in X when I am home and get better every time I use it. It took me 10 times to get the right click thing down and the way I like but now I do it the way I want everytime just the way I like it. I could bitch about the software sucks or just suck it up do it and it is done and I say this is people choice.

jctjct,

Until a real solution is found, it appears that you can use surface projection to "flatten" the lines you are using to create the tangent circle and then use the create circle edge point option. The result will be on whatever plane you projected your original lines to. You could then transform back to whatever z depth you require.

Hope this works for you.

Jay

I know I'm a little late on this one, but what am I missing? I think Ron's right--it's not a bug, it's working properly. If you want the arc to lie in the top plane, then project your 1st line(the one drawn in the front cplane) to the top plane. Otherwise, it's like cutting through a cylinder on an angle--you're going to get a spline for an edge curve at the cut.

I actually like the feature the way it is now--no more picking the 2 lines to make a custom c-plane just to make and arc tangent to them.

Not griping at you, jctjct. I'm just not sure I understand the problem. Maybe throw a file of what you're trying to do on the FTP site?

headscratch.gif

scott not teh fastest yugo on teh lot