Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

More mouse clicks?

Thad

It seems that more mouse clicks are required to do the same things that we did in V9. One of the good things I've been hearing about MCX is less mouse clicks. It seems to me, in my limited experience with MCX, that there are MORE mouse clicks to perform the same tasks. Is it an illusion since the clicks are now farther away than travelling up and down the left side menu?

Don't get me wrong. This is not a "bash X" thread. I like X from what I've seen. I've just heard so many times that it's less mouse clicks and it doesn't seem to be. A lot of people seem to be complaining about a sore mouse finger.

Thad teh hasn't used it enough to have a sore finger biggrin.gif

Hi Mark, Yep got the break at sketch point sussed but it still takes the same number of steps to do that as picking a point with a snap. If you use the many pieces option you still have to type a figure or select one from the dropdown.

You mentioned that the break two pieces command runs once you are in that command. That was available in earlier versions as well.

Cheers

I'm with Mike,

I turned off most of my toolbars. Most stuff has a hotkey associated with it(Learning mode helps). I put the stuff I use constantly under my rmb. All the other stuff can be accessed from the drop down menus at the top of screen with key strokes. Hint(that I just figured out Wednesday): to access the Create menu, hit Shift+Alt+C, for example. Xform menu is Shift+Alt+X. And so on.

• 2 months later...

In comparing the number of mouse clicks required to perform a function in v9 vs. X, a comparison to keystrokes should also be made. For me, at least, I find keystrokes to take far less time than mouse klicks. I figure that for me, one mouse click takes about the same amount of time as three keystrokes. Keystrokes also have the advantages of not requiring me to move my eyes from the geometry, and allowing me to position the mouse on the geometry as I'm hitting keys.

I just got a Demo X disk to install at home, so I can take the time for a few comparisons. Perhaps I'll post them later.

quote:

Import a drilling operation from your library and then add points. It takes 7 mouse clicks (8 if you use the "Entity" selection option like I do), not counting selecting the points, just to add points!

This proceedure needs to be optimized. There's a whole lot of unneccessary clicking required.

quote:

Can you make the entity selection method your default?

I wish!

One of the reasons why I liked MC so much was because you could set a lot of defaults the way you wanted them. That just makes it more effecient. Now, we've lost those capabilities....but we've sure got pretty icons. rolleyes.gif

Thad

quote:

I agree. As i've just been discussing with Mark Bana, to break an entity into two pieces using a midpoint snap it now takes 6 mouse clicks. In V9 its 5 but the sub commands are within an inch of one another.

In v9 and prior versions it took two mouse picks to break an entity at its midpoint.

M,B,2,pick,M,pick

If the option to use the keyboard only to select all commands, or having a "Classic" interface option like for example Cadkey / Key Creator does, isn't made available in v10+, I don't see a compelling reason to start using it since it'll only serve to slow things down.

I'm just starting to learn McX, agree with the "I like the system" comments, and have no intentions of bashing it. BUT, I really think the mouse click count should have been a little bit more elaborate an equation. Sure it might take less mouse clicks, but what about "travel time"? Dragging a window, or highlighting a function, that's time wasted. And like Matt said, using hot keys, saves tme when it comes to looking for icons.

It sure will be fun to look back on all of these threads when we are efficient in McX. I wonder how relevant all of our gripes will be?