Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

cheap companys

heavychevy2155

Yep I think drills disposable tools are the shops responsibility not the operator. If guys are misusing tools then fire them other wise get him the required tools. I would not stock my own drills to make your parts and then have to beg you to get me another one if it breaks, thats rediculous.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well,I hate to say this but, the tooling guys are always in and out trying out tools for the Job, np with tooling at all, the owner spent 25k for a inshop party for x-mas, we even pulled money envelopes filled with $50-$300 in 3 groups (depending how long you been there) Nice prizes, Hp-Laptop, 32 HDT TV, to cheese baskets and the like, and I got $930.00 with 11 others bonus for Ideas to help with scrap reduction smile.gif

I have NEVER been in a shop like this B4, and it hasn't been like it here b4 either, but for the last 2 years, Father owned it, bad son run it down, new Son runs it now Father died, Growing really fast great man to work for smile.gif

Worked for a place had 15 machines and enough tooling for three of them could never find any thing in that shop. or had to share between cycles. how pathetic. Spent more time looking for tools or holders than any thing. I feel for anyone that has to work in that environment. Just my vent sorry.

I used to have my own business. started from the back room of the house, got some tools together (mostly machines other people scrapped and rebuilt them)wanted to do my own thing and be happy! work got more and i had to train some people to help me(it cost money to train them) then they go home at night and you keep working, they go for the weekend and you're still working.

they take paid leave and sick leave and you do the work. Some xxxx don't pay you for a couple months work but you pay their salary's and scrape through with what's left. Then when things look like they're turning for the better employees thinks you're the cNt that profits from their labour. Cashflow problems ended that all and I took the fall alone. I'm studying full time now (like someone said "it's never too late to be what you should have been"). Will start up again one day and do things quite differently. main reason i'm learning CNC - more machines and less people. It's easy to complain from the sideline, but building up a honest business and keeping it afloat is VERY hard work and takes a lot of sacrifice (ask my wife curse.gif )

Hey - im feeling better already! wink.gif

I've owned my own shop and lost everything I owned too. Cest La vive. Did you need the 1/4 drill for production? or did you need it for something else? If it wasn't for production then use your own. If the guy wants to buy a Hummer, so what. Its his neck on the line if it goes south. Thats one of the benefits of owning the place. Its his money, he can do what he wants with it. If you don't like it then quit. I kinda believe that you agree to work for someone for a predetermined wage and benefits. Its easy for employees to gripe. More often than not they don't see the "Big Picture" or have all the facts.

I wish you luck with you endevour, owning your own place can be quite rewarding. It can also carry a very heavy price.

---------------------------------------------------

Thats one of the benefits of owning the place. Its his money, he can do what he wants with it. If you don't like it then quit.

-------------------------

Can't meet the schedule with crap tools in todays market. You have to be cutting edge or you get cut off at the knees unless you have your own product and you control your own destiny.

How do shop owners quote jobs ? Do they quote with a percentage of the price going to tooling. Most I know do. And most that I know actualy buy the tools but some of them don't buy squat and expect you to make the parts with the worn out crap that's laying under a bench in the shop. Then when your walking around with your thumb up your a$$ trying to work to a fantasy tool list your the a$$hole because the jobs not running. Happens every day here. Some people just don't work smart. All good intentions at the beginning but then everything turns to $hit. My 2.5 cents.

quote:

Then when your walking around with your thumb up your a$$ trying to work to a fantasy tool list your the a$$hole because the jobs not running. Happens every day here

The question begs, why stay?

In a situation like that I would find a job, any job, might not be the same job I had 30 days later but I would find a way out a situation like that.

I know of shops locally here who can no longer get qualified people thru their doors because of the reputation they have earned just because of situations exactly like this. One place is offering $27+ an hour just to try to entice people and he's still having trouble.

Nothing, and I say NOTHING pi$$es me off more than looking/searching for a tool in a messy enviroment.

Luckily I was able to set up our shop years ago where everything is marked in separate bins and I say what is needed and when... wink.gif

Owner simply makes sure I ordered something before he writes a check for it...

No complains here biggrin.gif

Can't meet the schedule with crap tools in todays market. You have to be cutting edge or you get cut off at the knees unless you have your own product and you control your own destiny.

I know that.......You know that......some guys never get it.They can't quit living in the past. They don't realize it is a global market now, not just competing against the good ole boy down the street anymore.My point is if the guy is gonna spend "his" money on cars or whatever, it is his perogitive. This fellow owns the place and isn't spending money on good tooling more than likely he never will and nothing you do will make him understand. Time will weed people like this out of the marketplace. So you can either just accept the fact or change the situation.

Alot of horror stories out there!!! Compared to what you guys have to deal with, the "crappy" jobs I have had, in the past, were a walk in the park!!!!

Where I am now there is no problem with getting what I need for tooling, as long as its within reason. I learned quick not to write in a price on the requisition form, or else I get half of what I actually need for the job.

----------------------------------------------------

My point is if the guy is gonna spend "his" money on cars or whatever, it is his perogitive.

----------------------------------------------------

I agree 100% but like I told my Brother years ago, Don't tell the guys before the holidays we had a crappy year and things aren't real stable right now and we can't afford to buy tooling then the next day roll into one of the shop bays on a 40,000.00 antique Indian that you just paid cash for at a swap meet. That just doesn't help moral

much. This is what generates resentment and discontent. But that's just his type "A" persoality and he's not sensitive enough to realize it so he continues to be a Jacka$$ about that stuff to this day. That's why I bailed both times I left. smile.gif

I will say it once again. If you are running "PRODUCTION" then yes the company should stock these drills. If you are running Tool & Die type parts (one or two pcs.) then each toolmaker should have his own set of drills that the company replaces when the time comes.

There is a HUGE difference in the way you run production and tool work.

Many places people also just walk in and they want this and they want that, and the company should verily have this, and it sucks the company do not have that bla bla bla.

I am the guy in our milling department who normally deliver the list of things that is needed, our shop foreman knows that when I order something I normally have a good reason for, it has come to this point because I do some homework before giving him the list, a example is figuring out how much money it would safe to spend $150 on a 1/8 coolant thru drill, or how many 1/2 endmills there are laying around that could be used on a job.

I am not saying that there ain't cheap shop owners, however I also understand that tooling is expensive. AND we lucky have the opportunity to change company if the owner spend the money in our opinion wrong, it is after all his company and there for his money.

Lars

The guys who work for me only supply their own safety glasses. But if they forget them I have some for them. In this county it is hard to find a machinist with their own tools.

The other side of the coin is I only have one guy at a time working for me and I work at the same time so tools do not get abused and I always have spares. I have plenty of mics for 2 guys working so they really dont need tools. In a big shop this is more difficult to manage because tools get abused stolen etc. So a bigger shop must require guys to have tools and even drill sets.

When I worked for big shops 35 years ago I had my own drills , my choice, (They would replace them) and it was a lot more convenient not sharing shop drills.

There were no inserts, grind your own HSS and Carbide tipped only. (they supplied the blanks)

It was the big drills that the last user left dull which made all the machinists angry. But a bitching machinst is a happy machinist we used to say. If you love this trade you just have to work with the way it is. If you dont, do something else.

Inserts are expensive and not usually re-sharpened so I would expect they would be provided. Unless of course they paid you $85/hr

So, be glad your in this trade, it is the best trade there is and I dont mean the $ because we have always been notoriously paid less. It is the most satisfying work I have ever found and no matter how little I made I would still choose it.

However, I would not necessarily recommend owning a machine shop. Loooong hours, weekends, and less actual machining time and a huge financial gamble.

Employee problems become your problems, all manner of government regulation to conform to.

etc, etc. Only some of you would want that. I actually enjoy owning a shop but it is not for everyone.

If my boss whined about how broke he was and showed up a cpl months later with a new Hummer or 30+ foot boat I'd sure quit.

OH wait, I did quit.

Now I'm the guy whining but I don't have any employees, OR a 1/4" drill OR anyone to yell at but myself. I do have a .253" drill and a new Mori NV500 APC though.

People skills seem to be lackng in todays world.

Luckily I'm not a job shop but I worked in one for 12 years. You have to have the tooling but the hammer heads running the cnc's need to let somebody know when they get down to a cpl drills left in the tray. Most operators I've been around let somebody know when the LAST one is broken of in the collet. It's not always the owners fault.