Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Machine Recommendations

Ocean Lacky™

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

...A step???? C'mon James you usualy say what's on your mind...

I was feeling generous today. biggrin.gif

To mention the Japanese machines and "those others" in the same breath should be punishable by at least 10 lashings. biggrin.giftongue.gif

To be fair though, they do serve a purpose, granted Die Machining is most definitely not one of them though.

Ha ha Haas?

Cmon guys. how many of you guys can put a 15000 lb block of fx d2 on a haas. I got some buddy's that do dies and they have converted hydrotel and a pratt and whitney wolverine. along with some other p and w verticals.

The wolverine is rated for 40,000 lbs table capacity. I have seen the hydrotel with 25,000 lbs on the table.

who has put that much weight on a haas? Please tell us how it worked.

The table capacity on the EC-1600 is 10,000 lbs. That is big enough to do any of the dies that we do. If we were looking at holding .0005 tolerances we too would probably look at the highr price machines. Most of tolerances are .005 or greater. So i ask, Why buy a Cadallac when a Impala will do the job you need it to do? I am not pushing Haas, but you have to look at the job you want it to do. I guess I better dig out my flame suit.

I've only been around Mazaks so I can't compare anything else but we bought a Haas vf6 last year and have been very impressed with it. A mazak with the same size table was 300k plus and the haas was half that. We don't machine heavy parts or take huge cuts so maybe thats why we have been satisfied with it. We mostly do aerospace parts from 6061 but we do hold very tight tolerances. (okay turn your flame throwers on) firebounce.gif

We have been down this road many times. Mehself not being a Haas or Fatal (sorry Thad) fan, can't picture using them for heavy roughing. Those machines do serve a purpose, don't get me wrong. But major metal removal is not usually one of them. There are a lot of machines out there (many mentioned here) that specialize in that aspect. If all you have ever seen is a big Haas roughing it may seem sufficient to you. Then when your done stop by and I'll show you my 800mm Niigata with 900 ft/lbs of spindle torque. wink.gif

quote:

We have been down this road many times

yeah, but I can't resist. In my book Haas can't be considered a value in any sense of the word. When they go though 3 spindles in a year and COUNTLESS other issues, the "affordabilty" is quickly eaten by downtime and non-performance. I'm not talking about not holding tolerance or lack of power, when they DON'T RUN because of poor assembly and poor componentry....the issue of tolerance, torque, and price are moot.

wish I did'nt speak from experience. wink.gif

You should contact your local reps, Okuma, Mori, The right Mazak. Tell them what you want and they will setup a demo with your part and you can compare run time cut quality and rigidity. You need to be an edjucated buyer dont take peoples word on a machine tool until you see for yourself and don't get snowed by a salesman.

P.S. I was in applications for 7 years with machine tool builders and helped many customers with machining solutions