Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

MR1 Crash

mman10

While doing two relatively simple toolpaths, one a surface finish contour and the other a contour on a helix my computer crashed and I got the following error msg from Mastercam

The instruction at "0x033xf10" referenced memory at"0x033xf10". The memory could not be read.

Mastercam will now close.

Has anybody seen, heard of or experienced this?

Running XP SP2 P4 3.0 with NVidia Quadro4 980xgl video card.

[ 01-26-2006, 10:55 AM: Message edited by: mman10 ]

• 5 weeks later...

John,

I've also seen this error when trying to post any kind of program. I am currently trying to locate a solution but none yet, i also have 2 other computers running fine, no problems. banghead.gif

I will let you know if I find a solution, did you already find one?

Ray

MCAM X MR1/SP2 MILL LEVEL 3 headscratch.gif

Hi John,

I have had this happen to me 3 times in the past 2 days. Mostly during file save after verifies with big STL stock files.

The real scary thing is it completely zeroed my 6M+ MCX file each time losing a days work. I now periodically do a "save as" just to be safe.

It did generate crash dumps that were automatically sent to CNC. I apologize in advance for some of my comments included in the transmission.

curse.gif

I'm running MR1 on a Dell M70, NVIDIA Quadro FX G0 1400, 1G of ram.

-Brian

Frustrating to the point of Customer dessertion. Why are we paying to Beta Test this software!?! I have guys on my shop floor that are trying to get work done but cannot because the software that we paid a CRAPLOAD of money for does not work properly. I am sick of getting notes on my door from my users informing me of 7 to 8 crashes a day, it's sickning!

Well my system is above minimum spec and I have the same problem. Sometimes when I do file save it crashes. Have not been able to pinpoint exactly when it is doing it and frankly it is not my job to QA for Mastercam. Really frustrating to have a 30mb file replaced with a 0mb file and a days worth of work lost. I have currently switched to the save as method. The other guys in the shop have switched to V9. If next MR doesn't do some serious good we will look into different software.

If File/Save is crashing on you, our experience tells us that this is due to a graphics card issue which, surprisingly enough, arises when saving the 'thumbnail bitmap' with the MCX part. If you're plagued with File/Save crashes, go to Settings/Config/Files and turn off 'Include bitmap in file when saving'

Let me know if this does or doesn't help.

Also remember that if you can not reproduce the error/crash, then more than likely it is not software related.........but hardware related.

Just because your pc does not crash when reading email, does not mean that it is not having issues elsewhere when being taxed by a highend program.

Also, just because an IT guy says that your pc is "top of the line" and could run any program, you may want to ask him/her how they came to that conclusion.

Just a few more thoughts.

Jorgen,

You might also try switching to the standard windows file open dialog style. For version X this is controlled in the Mastercam X control panel utility. You'll see it when you get into your Control Panel. Once you are in the utility you will see a drop-down box at the top. Try switching to Microsoft Windows Standard.

I too was having a lot of trouble with crashes at first and lost a few files when MCX crashed during File/Save. Fortunately my autosave is set at 5 minutes so that's about the extent of the lost work, so far.

What seems to have fixed it, at least for now, was tweaking the hardware acceleration settings for the graphics card. I'm running Windows XP SP2 with an Nvidia GeForce 6600GT card driving an Acer AL2416W monitor and MCX MR1 SP2.

In Windows, under the Display Properties, Settings, Advanced, Troubleshoot I have the hardware acceleration turned down 3 lines from full and the Enable write combining box is checked.

In MCX Configuration, Screen, the Graphics Support is set to OpenGL and the Disable hardware acceleration box is checked.

I don't understand much about graphics cards or why I have to turn off acceleration (wouldn't faster be better?) but since making these adjustments 2.5 - 3 weeks ago I haven't had a single crash during File/Save.

Hope this helps.

Must give credit to jmparis for helping me sort out this issue for my machine. Thanks.

------------------------------------------------

The real scary thing is it completely zeroed my 6M+ MCX file each time losing a days work. I now periodically do a "save as" just to be safe.

------------------------------------------------

I also have had some problems with this error once in a while.

Instead of having to do a "save as" periodically couldn't you just "salvage" back one save. It is always smart to save as often as posible (say after each new toolpath). If your Mcam crashes during the save then you can just salvage back to the previous save only losing one operation. Just coming from some bad experience that I myself have had.

quote:

The real scary thing is it completely zeroed my 6M+ MCX file....I now periodically do a "save as" just to be safe.

quote:

Instead of having to do a "save as" periodically couldn't you just "salvage" back one save.

I have to admit I'm not familiar with any "salvage" command. Can you explain how you do this?

I didn't have autosave turned on, but I'm not sure it would have helped in this case. After the crash the file was there but empty and there was no backup since I didn't see the need to do a "save as" prior to the crash.