Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

why won't you delete?

Sem001

How's it goin for some reason whenever I delete an entity of any type it will disappear on the screen statistics will say it is gone but when I resave my file it never decreases in size right now I have a .5 dia. 2d hole that is 5000000kb do I have some setting wrong or am I just losin it?

sorry that should say 500 000kb not million.I have also tried fittin the geometry to the screen to make sure there isn't anything lost in space and there doesn't apear to be I get this problem mostly after I trim surfaces or use the squash c-hook and choose to delete existing entities

Is it possible you have a bunch of data that has been "blanked"? Goto screen, blank, unblank, all entities.

I've never seen your problem with a newly created Mastercam file, but sometimes customer provided data has all kinds of hidden ( blanked ) data for construction purposes. We have one source that gives us wireframe & surfs, with three or more copies "blanked". Huge files.

Try File/Convert/Iges/Write file.

Exit Mastercam.

Run Mastercam again and first thing do File/Convert/Iges/Read file.

Save it and check the size.

Sometimes if there are "bad" entities, Mastercam doesn't write them out to the Iges file.

Instead of Iges, you can try another converter.

HI Sem001,

This maybe your problem. If you noticed the files are larger in V8 toward V7 that is because you are saving a .bmp(bit map) image with your file which increases it 10 times bigger. When saving your work un-click the box at the bottom that says (Save thumbnail image with geometry) and your file will be much smaller. I hope this answers your question.

ENDMILL biggrin.gif

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Endmill beat me to it. Un-Check the save thumbnail image and your file will be drastically smaller. But, let me ask this, in an era of HUGE HDD's why would you worry about a measly 1/2 MB?

Just wondering out loud.

how's it goin I unchecked the thumbnail preview and it only reduced my size but very little so I went to unblank and found a collection of entities from other files I've created this database just seems to keep growing everytime I initiate new geometry I tried to unblank it and delete and the system just freezes so I tried to convert to iges and got the same results. I am runnin windows 2k pro on a 1.3 ghz Pentium 4 that I just upgraded to 512mgs sdram Seems like everytime I solve one problem 2 more are created Thanks for all the advise so far but anyone got anything else I'm pullin my hair out over here

Something that works for me:

show everything onscreen that you want, pg dn once or twice to allow room to 'window ' around it. Now 'xform-translate-window-done-rect X-20 doit'(this moves only the 'good' stuff out of the way). Don't change screen size or 'fit' or 'clear colors'!!! Now do 'screen-blank-unblank-window, now delete-window. Next 'xform-translate-result-done-rect X20 doit' and you have your geometry back but without all the junk.

Good luck, BerTau

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

As noted earlier, RAM Saver is supposed to clear out DUplicate entities fron the database.

Question, when you start a new file, do you do "File", "New"? The only reason I can think of why other entites from other files would be hanging around would be because you do "Delete", "All", "Entities" then start drawing.

I created a single .500" Dia Arc, saved my file. Then opened it up again, and it was 147Kb, or 147,000 b. I did file new, then file get and got my "part" with no entities mind you, and it was 132 KB or 132,000 b. So if you have blanked or hidden entities, it would be entirely reasonable to assume the file woud grow in size.

But I still gotta ask, why are you worrying about 1/2 MB with a system like that? Does it take longer to load that you think it should?

[ 11-27-2001: Message edited by: James Meyette ]

FIRST OFF THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP I OWE YOU GUYS ONE I ENDED UP USING FILE SAVE SOME ALL ENTITIES THIS ALLOWED ME TO KEEP ALL THE GEOMETRY THAT WAS NOT BLANKED AND DELETED ALL THAT WAS FOUND IT A LOT FASTER THAN GOIN AND DELETING ALL THE JUNK. AND JAMES TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTION THE REASON WHY KEEPIN THE FILES SIZES TO A MINUMIM IS IMPORTANT TO ME IS MY COMPUTER FEEDS FILES TO A NETWORK AND NOT ALL OF THE COMPS HAVE THE SPEED AND POWER MINE DO SO FILE TRANSFERS OF 500 000KB TAKE AROUND 60 MINS TO TRANSFER .

bUT ONCE AGAIN THANKS TOO ALL

Do you remember the setting in Screen/configure about Undelete? If there wasn't a residual geometry reference to a deleted piece of geometry,then undelete would be worhtless. It's probably your undelete setting that makes the file size remain the same after you delete any geometry. If you want the file size to go down after a delete, it would help to set your undelete setting to 0.

• 1 year later...

Ok now I am the only crazy person here so be cafefully or the white coat guys might just show up at your door. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

This can be a real probelm if they send you a file with all the wireframes and sheels converted in a format of there choice why I always try to get the Native when ever possible ot allow me ot convert files they way I like.

CRazy Millman