Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Armor Plate

Go Navy

Need some help on speeds and feeds for MIL-A-46100 49 rc Steel Armor plate. Using a solid carbide 1/2" end mill must go 24" and slot must finish .400 so far everything we have tried has failed. We don't have any other option than to machine this slot just hoping someone else is working with this material. Currently running 100 sfpm and .002 per tooth chipload.

Thanks for all the help

Al

cycle times are not all that important just have to getrdun. Cutters are cutting great then just snapping at .200 depth of cut. I started out with .075 doc but then the cutters would wear before finishing the slot. I am currently at .125 doc 100 sfpm and .002 chipload seems to be working ok at the moment. I will change to a smaller cutter if I have anymore problems.

Thanks again for everyones help

Al

Another thing you should do is stop flooding the tool with coolant and switch to an air blast, perferably a light air/oil mist like a Acculube system.

Flooding the carbide when cutting steel, especially hardened steel, is not a good thing to do. It actually fractures the carbide.

Also are you using coated carbide?

Roger

I have a tslot2.dll in my chooks but no tslot.dll and when I try to run it I get a unknown file error. I would like to learn more about it could you point me in the right directions to locate it? Finally finished all of these parts but I'm sure there will be more to come.

Thanks everyone for their help

Al