Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Frustrated long time user

JOHN HIMES

I have been a full-time mastercam user since 1991, I think I started with version 3. Due to past experience with new releases I waited until MR1 to load MCX. I've now been using MCX-MR1 for three weeks. My overall feeling for MCX is mixed. I can see how the new format would make it easier for new users to learn, but it's a step backwards for seasoned programmers. The following list are some of my main complaints and potential bugs.

1) Properties, such as nc file names, stock setup and WCS should be tied to the active toolpath group not the active machine group.

2) What happeded to "modify last operation,Alt-R"

3) What happened to "unzoom to last scale, F2" Now I can only unzoom by 50%

4) I can no longer unselect a single operation in the operation manager. I used to be able to select and unselect individual operations by holding down the Ctrl button.

5) Can't analyze properties or edit geometry while chaining. If you try this it will dump you out of the chaining function.

6) Can't analyze properties while back plotting.

7) Can't analyze properties while in toolpath parameters.

8) How do I backup while chaining. It seems to me that if you make a wrong turn you have to start over.

9) Back plotting has a lot of issues. Such as the X,Y,Z locations do not dynamically update under the details tab while holding down the "vcr" step button. I see that the tool position is updated dynamically in the lower left hand corner. Another thing, drill cycle toolpath locations, in the lower left hand corner, seem to be relative to the system origin and not the WCS programmed in. Thankfully the NC code is correct.

10) I'm really trying to get used to the autocursor, I think it has a lot of potential, but MCX has taken it to far by taking away the ability to lock in specific repeated point selection types.

11) Analyze distance does not show indicate a "negatve" change in distance.

12) The levels manager is really slow when turning off levels with alot of enities.

This is the first time that I have participated in the user forum. My motivation is not to bash MCX, rather to point out areas that have decreased my productivity.

Welcome to the forum, John,

Constructive critisism is not bashing.

I can help you with one of your complaints

quote:

I'm really trying to get used to the autocursor, I think it has a lot of potential, but MCX has taken it to far by taking away the ability to lock in specific repeated point selection types

Right click in the desktop, then left click Autocursor. You can turn off or on any AC point type you want.

I usually kust run "endpoint" and "center" and save the rest for special occasions.

quote:

8) How do I backup while chaining. It seems to me that if you make a wrong turn you have to start over.

There is a unselect button on the chain manager.

quote:

10) I'm really trying to get used to the autocursor, I think it has a lot of potential, but MCX has taken it to far by taking away the ability to lock in specific repeated point selection types.

I agree 100% on those.

quote:

Right click in the desktop, then left click Autocursor. You can turn off or on any AC

feature you want.

Gcode, when I do that I have to go back and check it again if I want to select a different type of selection. That is what I don't like, so for now I just leave the ones I use alot checked and keep reselecting if I use the same one twice or more times in a row.

Hang in there. You've only had 3 weeks on it. Some things appear missing when there's just another way to do it. Like, for instance, breaking entities AtLength. You have to type in a negative number. A positive number will extend the entity's length.

- OFF TOPIC: Your from Davis Tool, Inc. - correct? They're located in Hillsboro, Oregon. Kevin Clark comes in here at times.

quote:

There is a unselect button on the chain manager.

That unselects the whole chain and you have to start over from scratch. How about backing up one or two steps in the chain

-OFF TOPIC John and I are both from Bestco-Inc in Hillsboro OR

quote:

We complained enough to get that one back. See the "I want my F2 back" thread. Probably in MR2.

quote:

4) I can no longer unselect a single operation in the operation manager. I used to be able to select and unselect individual operations by holding down the Ctrl button.

You should be able to. Actually, you can select...you just can't unselect. That's a bug and has been reported.

quote:

9) Back plotting has a lot of issues.

See that "backplot issues" thread for more.

quote:

As others have said, check your autocursor settings in the RMB. There are some changes coming to use quick keys for autocursor snapping, like in V9 and earlier. MR2?

Welcome to the forum John! cheers.gif

Thad

• 10 months later...

How about keeping the chaining cursor on??? Every time I pull down the chain cursor then select the geometry, I have to go back & pull the chain down again & again to coninue chaning more geometry. Why doesn't it lock in place until the user decides how the cursor is to be used?